Topic: Is the RME mixer 100% bit transparent?

I haven't yet done the tests, although I may experiment... but I am curious and I figured some of you may have already done this. So, if I want the absolute most transparent playback, how do I get it? Set the pan law to 0db? Set all mixer faders at 0db?  What about the output faders?  They are currently set at +6 I believe...  should they be at 0db?

Will the digital output at my soundcard be EXACTLY the same as the audio Cubase sends it? - or does the RME mixer change the sound slightly?

Thanks,
Todd

https://www.noiseradiationstudios.com

Re: Is the RME mixer 100% bit transparent?

No sound change at all, if at all then level changes...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think the question is (and I will use as an example the SPDIF input and output) if TotalMix is used to route the L and R SPDIF input to the L and R SPDIF output respectively with the L and R faders set to exactly 0dB and the respective pans set 100%L and 100%R, will the SPDIF output be bit-identical to the SPDIF input (leaving aside TMS). 

In other words, is the path is totally bit-transparent, except for a few clock cycles delay?  Personally, I expect the answer to be 'yes'.  Which means it could be used to transport 'non-audio' data without error.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I don't think this was the question, but the answer is still yes. :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In answer to the second question, yes.  We regularly record DolbyE on our workstations and as anyone who deals with that knows DolbyE is ridiculously fragile.  One bit missing and it won't decode.  So yes, it's 100% bit accurate with faders at zero and pans fully L or R.
Hugh

Yep - Same with AC3/DTS bitstreams.  Totalmix passes them "bit perfect" at unity gain or else they wouldn't be able to be decoded downstream :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8