Topic: totalmix FX as plugin?

hi,  is it possible to run totalmixFX as plugin inside logic pro to use the TM eq, compressors ?

Re: totalmix FX as plugin?

Creating an insert plugin in Logic and a hardware loop on the UFX it?s possible to route a signal through TotalMix and it?s internal effects.

best regards
Knut

3 (edited by stevet71 2010-10-26 13:06:40)

I'm new here and considering upgrading to a RME audio interface that uses TotalMix FX. For the less educated can anyone help and be more specific in exactly what setttings need to be made in both Logic and TotalMix. Am I correct in thinking a hardware loop can be completed somehow using the loopback feature of TotalMix? Assume I'm simply wanting to add ufx compressor, eq, and reverb to an existing recorded acoustic guitar audio track in Logic and then want to bounce the whole project to mp3.

4 (edited by stevet71 2010-10-28 17:20:07)

Got new UFX yesterday! Sounds great and works like clockwork.

I figured out how to use the onboard effects like a plugin myself (I think), seems overly complex:

Logic Audio Track (mono) with default stereo out (TotalMix Software Playback AN 1/2 through headphones in my case):
- From the Inserts drop down list select Utility > I/O > Mono to Stereo.
- From the I/O plugin select Output 3 and Input 3-4 (the external effects box takes a mono input from interface output 3 and returns stereo to interface inputs 3-4). Obviously these values can be changed depending upon your own config.

TotalMix:
- Set Software Playback AN 3/4 to mono
- Set Software Playback AN 3 level to 0.0
- Set Software Playback AN 3 balance 0
- Set Software Playback AN 3 FX Send as required
- Set Hardware Output AN 3/4 level to 0.0
- Set Hardware Output AN 3/4 to Loopback
- Set Hardware Output AN 3/4 FX Return as required
- Set Hardware Output AN 3/4 EQ and D as required
- Set reverb and delay as required

I'd be interested to know if this is correct or there is a better way - perhaps an included AU plugin for example!

Hi Steve,
Had a chance to figure out the external FX setup today.
I used all the ADAT I/O to do the setup sense I'm juts using the analog I/O.
This will give me 15 stereo compressor/EQ channels and 1 Stereo Reverb/ECHO.
Tried setting up some mono playback channels but seemed to confusing to me to bother with.
Might figure out a setup using mono playback channels later if I have time.
You also don't get the added latency of the AD/DA stage if using the digital I/O for this.
The input row is pretty moot at when using loopback.
The FX are happening on the output channel only.
The reverb channel uses the FX send on the playback channel and the FX return on the output only. You can add Comp and EQ if you want but I think it is going to be pre-FX only.

Starting from the default snapshot that has no routing going on.
Doing this and not making any mono buses made it fairly easy.
Under View Options make sure you have Submix, Post FX and FX checked.

I have the Compressors and EQ active on each of those channels but but both are at factory reset setting as part of the preset.
The Reverb is setup on the last ADAT channel.
This is the only channel you should have the FX send and return active on.

Here is a screen shot and here is a download link for the Snapshot File.
I assume the files can be loaded on MAC and or PC. This is from a PC.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad48/ChrisADK/TM-EXTFX.jpg

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

how can u buy the ufx so fast, that even sweetwater hasn't confirm the arrival date? any quick path to Asia?

buddhistmarty wrote:

how can u buy the ufx so fast, that even sweetwater hasn't confirm the arrival date? any quick path to Asia?

Hi,
We are an RME dealer also.
The first run of UFX shipping to the US was small so most likely if they got any of the first run it was so few that they didn't bother to say they were in stock.
Probably juts filled a couple pre-orders.

I wish the damn Babyface was out already though. If it sounds as good and works as well as the UFX it's going to be a big hit.

Thanks
Chris

www.adkproaudio.com

the UFX standalone mode is highly remarkable. one can go out to record using a USB memory stick, without a bulky Mac. then bring home the recorded materials for editing (keeping the quality),  are we happy?

I have the Compressors and EQ active on each of those channels but but both are at factory reset setting as part of the preset.
The Reverb is setup on the last ADAT channel.
This is the only channel you should have the FX send and return active on.

Hi Chris,

do u think the UFX compressors and EQs would comparable to UAD-2 ?

Hi,
No they do not compare to the UAD-2 analog emulation type plug ins. Few plugins do.
They seem more like ones you would fine on the better digital mixing boards.
The effects to me do sound nicer than what comes with the Steinberg MR816csx.
I'm not sure yet if I would use the reverb in a project but it sounds perfectly fine for someone to track with for for a live reverb.
But I've had less than a week to real do anything with it.
I've only used it here in the shop. Don't have time atm to take it home and do some work. I'm holding out for the babyface.
That suits my I/O needs more.
Thanks Chris

www.adkproaudio.com

Admin Knut wrote:

Creating an insert plugin in Logic and a hardware loop on the UFX it?s possible to route a signal through TotalMix and it?s internal effects.

best regards
Knut

hi,

just got my own UFX this week,
but find it difficult in logic pro to create an insert as plugin for it's internal effects.
what's the routing method?

Thanks