Topic: Adi 8 QS Madi Digital Output

Hi All,

We recently bought 3 Adi 8 QS converters and a HDPSe Madi card for our studio in London.

I'm having some issues with getting them working with our Lavry Converter.

Our current setup is a simple loop using Madi Optic cable (PC > ADI 8 QS 1 > ADI 8 QS 2 > ADI 8 QS 3 > PC)

We have a dsub cable connected to the final converter, which is sending a digital signal via aes/ebu to our Lavry. I can tell a connection has been established because the Lavry registers bit rate changes I make on the RME's.

What I can't work out is why the Lavry wont output any audio? We are connected to the appropriate digital output, and we can see movement on the remote meter to indicate a signal is reaching the RME (we can also hear play back if we plug into the analog outputs of the RME) It seems that there maybe a setting we need to enable on our ADI 8-s to set them to output on their digital outs as well as the analogs?

Any ideas? is it even possible to convert Madi to AES/EBU using the ADI8-QS's?

Cheers,
Toby

Re: Adi 8 QS Madi Digital Output

Is the purpose of this setup simply to convert MADI to AES? Have you selected "DIG" in the QS' Input section?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No, we are using it to record our sessions in the studio but would like to monitor through the lavrys.

Do we have to set the input to Dig as well? it's current recieving an input over Madi from the PC and outputting it over analog with no problems its just the digital side we can't figure out.

Cheers,
Toby

The AES outputs carry the analog input signal, not the MADI line. By changing the input to digital this converter's AD conversion is no longer available at the digital (MADI) output. IMHO one should use the QS for monitoring purposes, which is not a problem in the above setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Or check out the DirectOutTec firmware modification, maybe it does the trick.

Hi MC,

I guess this is why you also offer a format converter - because these units arent designed to do so.

We've decided to instead use our Sumo Summing amp in the loop, this should give us the best of both worlds.

It should be worth noting, that we are amazed by the audio clarity offered by these units without any clock source - our old setup used an apoggee clock but since the steady clock has come into use on these units we have had nothing but good results.

Cheers,
Toby