Topic: more ADAT inputs with existing FF800

I have a FF800 and I'm very happy with it. however I need at least another ADAT input as I am using both of the ones on the FF800. I have one tied up with a Focusrite 428 and I'm getting an Audient ASP8 that will use the other one. when it comes out I would like to get one of the new Universal Audio Twin Finity 4 channel preamps with ADAT out.

any reasonable suggestions? I can get a used Firestudio Lightbridge for about $280 but will it play nice with my FF800? is there another recommended option in the $300 price range?

New Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, Antelope Orion32, ProTools 11, UAD Octo, Tonelux OTB 16, and lots of toys...

Re: more ADAT inputs with existing FF800

What about the ISA428's 4 extra line inputs?  Just feed the UA Twin Finity into those :-)

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman - yup that will work for a standard TwinFinity. most folks don't know about that, but it's cool. [grin] but I'm using 2 of those for my ADSL600. plus if possible I'd rather use the built in ADAT in the TwinFinity. after all, it's already there & I would figure that the UA converters will be good.

New Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, Antelope Orion32, ProTools 11, UAD Octo, Tonelux OTB 16, and lots of toys...

4 (edited by Randyman... 2010-10-27 03:24:26)

Ah.  Are you using all of this I/O at once?  Could you swap ADAT connections as needed?

You won't be able to use a Presonus or any other box along with your Fireface800 under a unified driver.  You would have to resort to somethihg like ASIO-4-All to aggregate the individual drivers into a single driver for the DAW App to talk through.  I believe you could buy a FF400 and use it and your FF800 under the same driver - but don't quote me on that (I forget if the FF400 and FF800 use discrete drivers).

I'd probably compromise by either swapping ADAT Cables, or whatever analog I/O patching you can do - the "solution" won't be cheap if buying another FF400/FF800, or it won't be "elegant" if kludging together RME and Presonus interfaces (stability and latency will likely suffer sad )

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman - yeah, I would LIKE to use it all at one time, but I guess that's unlikely. aggregate devices aren't all that reliable from what I understand. sounds like I would be best off using the 428 inputs as you say.

or maybe using the same type of inputs that are on the Twin Finity and not using the ADAT card on the 428. then I could sell the 428's card. this is more complicated than I thought at first...