Topic: Problem with HDSPe AIO and Pro Tools Inserts

In order to use hardware inserts in Pro Tools it requires that your sound card utilize corresponding hardware input and output channels to send and return the audio.  For example, a hardware insert being supplied by outputs 7?8 needs to be returned to hardware inputs 7?8.  Because of the additional analog output (headphone out) on the AIO card, the ins and outs don't correspond.  There are 14 inputs and 16 outputs.  This causes the numeric sequence of the ADAT ports to be misaligned and to not function with Pro Tools as a hardware insert.  My question is this - Is there a way to re-sequence the order of the inputs and outputs of the AIO driver to have matching ins and outs or to simply disable the headphone out to eliminate it from showing up in the driver outputs?  I'm on Windows 7 x64 and using Pro Tools 9HD.  I've tried disabling the analog 2 out within the Windows sound card setup but it still shows up in the ASIO driver setup causing the misalignment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem with HDSPe AIO and Pro Tools Inserts

I think you will have to wait for the next PT version which might add an I/O editor like all other software has it. Maybe.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the fast response.  Isn't it up to the ASIO driver to determine the order of the inputs and outputs?

Since you can't re-arrange the RME's INPUTS - Use Totalmix to re-arrange the OUTPUTS so they match the Inputs?  Otherwords - if PT sends what it calls 7/8 to 9/10 on RME, then use TM's middle row to re-map 9/10 (software channels) back to TM's bottom row 7/8 (physical outputs).  Then the "Return" will come back on RME 7/8 where it should.

Problem solved.  This seems awkward for PT.  In Nuendo/Cubase - you can freely assign the Analog I/O Insert loops to any I/O you want to (send to 1 and 10, return to 4 and 17 - whatever!).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out...