Topic: Pro Tools 9 / Logic & Fireface 800 Audio Levels

Originally I posted this on the Avid Pro Tools 9 forum and thought I would get a better reply here. . . .

Last night I got a chance to try my RME Fireface 800 instead of my HD2 in a testing situation. Besides the Software Monitoring On/Off there was one other bothersome issue I was experiencing. . . . while monitoring in total mix I had all my faders off except the one microphone input and the SPDIF output (SPDIF was feeding a Lavry Black DA and I was listening through headphones). Now I could hear everything just like an analog mixer fine. . . . it recorded into PT9 and Logic 8 fine (w/wo software monitoring selected in Logic). However in both programs the playback was louder then when I was recording and the live input. Mind you that all my faders in total mix and both DAWs were set to 0 db and there were no plug ins used on any tracks or master faders. . . . . does anyone else experience this volume difference? IMO it is very noticeable. And out of all fairness it did this on both PT9 and Logic 8. Is this normal?
Joe

Re: Pro Tools 9 / Logic & Fireface 800 Audio Levels

The Totalmix faders do not affect the input level in any way. The problem must be inside the software - or maybe the playback faders in Totalmix are up?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by soundtrack2life 2010-11-16 16:09:20)

In the TM Matrix I am 99.99% sure that there were no other faders on besides the mic input 10 and SPDIF and both are set at 0 db.  And that in both DAWs channel & master are set to 0 db.  The strange thing is I had the same issue with PT9 & Logic 8.  In my mind if in total mix & the DAWs all being set at 0 db that all sources should sound the same loudness wise. . . . I will double check later today and report back.
Joe

OK I just dug deeper. . . . what is happening is with the FF Total Mix.  Although my input fader in total mix is set at 0 db when I look at the matrix it shows -6 db.  If I set it to 0 db in the matrix the total mix fader is all the way up. . . . now there is not a big level difference with what I am hearing live and the playback from the DAW.   But this raised the next question why is 0 db on the total mix input fader not the same as 0 db in the matrix?
Joe

Hi,

If your input 10 is set as mono track, it might be related to the Pan Law of Totalmix.

Though, here I have -3dB in the matrix when the pan of a mono track is set to Center (0dB if full L or full R) and didn't see any user setting for Pan Law in Totalmix.

RME UFX - TM FX 1.05 / Drivers USB 2.03 fw 1.58
Mac OSX.8.5 / Pro Tools 10.3.10+11.3.1 / VEP 5.3.1

RME Support wrote:

The Totalmix faders do not affect the input level in any way. The problem must be inside the software - or maybe the playback faders in Totalmix are up?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

QFT.  Totalmix has zero bearing on the ASIO Inputs presented to your DAW software (with the one exception of TM's "Loopback" function).  Totalmix only affects the hardware outputs...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

demozic wrote:

Hi,

If your input 10 is set as mono track, it might be related to the Pan Law of Totalmix.

Though, here I have -3dB in the matrix when the pan of a mono track is set to Center (0dB if full L or full R) and didn't see any user setting for Pan Law in Totalmix.

I some how had the RME Total Mix pan law set to -6.  FWIW PT9 & Logic were set to -3 so that was why I was hearing the difference in levels!  So I changed it and all is working well now.  Thanks for steering me in in the right direction!
Joe