Topic: Fireface 800 with Ricoh chipset

Hi guys,

I've been loving my FireFace 800 for years and years, but it just won't work at all with my new Dell Studio XPS 16.  The firewire chipset is a Ricoh.  I've tried using the two other firewire drivers included with Windows 7 (x64), but neither of them work - the FireFace just sits there with a red light on for the host, and when you click Totalmix it just shows random channels or goes crazy.

Any thoughts?  I'd sure love to have it working - I can't get an external firewire card, my expresscard slot will be in use.  I'm thinking of getting a UFX anyway, which would solve the problem, presumably, but I'd still like to have it working.

Best,

Cave

Re: Fireface 800 with Ricoh chipset

Can you recheck the FF 800 on a different computer? Maybe the 400 port is defective. If so then a 400 to 800 cable might work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It works great on my other laptop with a TI chipset.  I've tried going back and forth a few times, no dice.

On boot, I've noticed the FireFace's red light will briefly turn off just as Windows loads, but turns off again on login and stays off.  Totalmix will sort of open, but non-functionally, and only displaying the input and output faders, not the playback.  One time it displayed all three, but playing audio made it go apeshit, with signals bouncing around on every fader/channel randomly.  It was fun to watch, but pretty unproductive.  I know it works fine, I played a show with it the next day using the laptop with the TI chipset (the fireface runs my band, GreyMarket) and the same cable.  Latest firmware, latest driver.

For example, my old ff800 works very well with hp laptop with ricoh chip.. I was recording 16 channels  in the same time , few ours without problems

www.studioton.net

it most likely will not work with the Dell or most new laptops

have you
disabled ACPI battery and all card readers (device manager)
disabled Wifi same place
tried VGA mode on the video card (ugly)

Scott
ADK

I disabled some bits.  No dice.  I'll just wait for the UFX.  Christ, you'd think somebody other than Texas Instruments could put together a firewire chipset.

its less about the firewire chipset and more about power management in the bios of todays laptops.
even adding a TI based express card usually does not help.

Scott
ADK

Solved!  I snagged the latest bios update that Dell had (10/6/10, version A12).  Works a treat now.

Weird, I guess I spoke too soon.  It's flaky - the red light turns off and you can play songs with non-ASIO applications like, say, Windows Media Player, but trying to run anything that uses ASIO will make the Fireface disco with a red light.  Oh well, back to the drawing board, I guess.

Hello All,
     I'm one of the lucky people that purchased a new laptop (HP dv4-2160us) who thought they could purchase an TI firewire express card. I have the latest bios. You can't really tweak anything. The Laptop seems really close to being usable. I can record 16 trks @ 44k. If I use high buffer settings, it will record for about 20 minutes without errors. It will get worse after that.
     Power saving issues that plague the new laptops affect the Pci/express bus.    Do they affect USB? Will the UC and UFX be a better option? Only USB devices used is mouse and power to ESATA drive.
                                                                  thanks,
                                                                              Allen