Topic: Fireface 400 - ADAT input constant "bitcrush"

Hi

Just bought an Alesis AI3 adat interface and connected it to my Fireface 400. The sound comes through but there is a constant bitcrush effect on the signal. Probably something to do with bitrates?

Any help much appreciated.

Re: Fireface 400 - ADAT input constant "bitcrush"

Incorrect sync, I would assume... Which device is Clock Master?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I dont know but I read somewhere that the Alesis AI3 can only function in slave mode. The device has two buttons "optical source" (analog / optical) and "Operating Level" (+4dbu / -10dbv) and I assume it is the slave here.

Is there anything I can do on the FF400 "options" or menu or something to correct the sync issues?

The AI3 can only be slave if you connect ADAT both ways or give it a Word Clock signal. Assuming won't help, you need to be clear about this. One device must be master, the other slave. Then it should work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I first plugged the ADAT out from Alesis to ADAT in FF400.

Now I bought another ADAT cable and connected them the other way around too, but the sound is still the same.

Where can I set which one is the Master and which one is the slave? The Alesis has only two buttons so Im assuming I cant do anything there but maybe RME options or menu somewhere?

Have you studied the manual of both devices in detail? Again, assuming will not help, you need to find out what these two buttons do...
The FF can be set as Master in Settings Dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

lovely.

studied the manual and it says that the Alesis indeed needs to be connected both ways to receive clock information - done that.

now back to ff400 - When I do as the manual tells me to, ie click the fire symbol in icon tray to access the Settings dialog for the Master option, my "Settings" dialog looks nothing like in the manual. Instead of the dialog that's supposed to open I get this

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_pnduGIf1vrU/TOpnpKEtfEI/AAAAAAAAABA/4eSXoNF9a5M/rme%20dialog%201.jpg

I am clearly missing something very obvious here. I would love to click the button that says "set Fireface as Master" but I cant.

"Internal" is what you want here...
But there is no digital ADAT input signal to be seen here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok. Problem solved even though I dont know why.

I just installed the latest driver you have released for ff400 and rebooted. Now it shows on the "Settings" dialog "Internal" and ADAT is on "Sync". Sound comes through alright.

Any ideas what went wrong earlier? (Besides that the units werent connected both ways at first)

Afraid not... HeadScratch

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

In the Fireface Settings dialog "Emphasis" is active
don't remember if this would influence ADAT as well ?
if not needed turn it off ! check pdf manual !?

regards S-EH