1 (edited by flextone 2010-11-21 20:56:55)

Topic: AudioMIDI Setup Problem - FF400 Grayed Out

Hi,

MIDI on my FF400 has always been flawless, up until today. When I play MIDI tracks in my DAW (DP7) I don't see any activity in the MIDI Monitor. And indeed, I found that in the OSX AudioMIDI Setup my FF400 is grayed out in the MIDI window. I can't check the "device is online" box.
I've tried deleting pref files, repaired permissions, and eventually updated to the latest RME driver after trashing the old files as stated in the manual (under "some times MIDI doesn't work"). The manual also recommends to remove the device and have AudioMIDI setup scan for new devices again. But the FF can't be removed, nor can the network or IAC devices. Only their connected devices can be deleted. Can someone clarify this?

I'm using a unibody macbook pro running 10.6

What can be causing this?

Re: AudioMIDI Setup Problem - FF400 Grayed Out

Are you using driver 2.87? In Audio MIDI Setup you can not delete the FF 400 MIDI?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by flextone 2010-11-22 16:03:40)

Hi Matthias, thanks for replying.

I am using the latest drivers, installed them yesterday after discovering the MIDI problem. Still no go. If by "delete" you mean choosing the device and pressing "remove device" then no, I can't. "remove device" is grayed out. Pressing delete on the keyboard doesn't work and when I press delete in the "edit" menu nothing happens as well.

Am I missing something?

OK some really strange stuff going on.

When I turned everything on today (MBP is last to be powered up) the computer didn't recognize the Fireface anymore, Host LED was red. I'm daisy-chaining the firewire through a G-Tech external drive so I tried connecting the FF directly to the MBP and Host LED returned to green. As the MIDI problem seemed to persist, I restarted the MBP and the Host LED was red again. Right now there is no communication, MIDI nor audio, between the FF400 and my MBP.

I've updated OS X last night, after updating the RME driver. Could this be the source of the problem?

After repairing permissions, the computer communicates with the FF again. MIDI problem persists, device is offline.

Did you check the MIDI plugin is installed in

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Fireface MIDI.plugin

Did you try to delete the MIDI device via configuration/edit configuration (or similar). The MIDI device can only be deleted if it has no connections

Did you try to delete the MIDI plugin and reinstall the driver then?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MIDI plugin is installed.
I've tried every possible way to make Audio MIDI setup recognize the FF MIDI, including creating new configurations, deleting them etc. The FF MIDI device cannot be deleted even with no connections. By connections you mean devices connected to it or ports?

When I updated the driver I've deleted all the old files including the MIDI plugin. I'll try re-installing one more time.

I've removed all the files again and re-installed the driver, did not work. Strange thing is when I copy&paste the MIDI driver into my username/library/audio/MIDI drivers from the macintosh HD/library... the MIDI device is grayed it, but I can remove it. When I rescan it doesn't even show up again. Turns out that my MIDI device was not grayed out at all, but it is a) irremovable and b) offline in preferences. Thats the situation right now.

I've noticed that I can send MIDI clock form the FF. But notes do not work. Device is still offline in Audio MIDI setup.

I'm at a loss with this, simply because we can not reproduce it. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for trying Matthias. I'll report back if I have any success.
I'll try connecting the unit to a different compute. Maybe it's an OS X issue.