Topic: Crackling with FF800 when buffer size set to 256 samples or lower

Hello all

I have crackling when using VSTis (Alchemy, Battery,Reaktor, Kontakt, etc) in the latest version of Cubase 5.5 32bit on my Windows 7 64 bit machine when buffer size it set to 256 samples or lower. I am using latest FF800 firmware and latest drivers. Latest drivers for video card and other hardware. All MS updates installed. I checked my performance on Latency Monitor and Sycon and all is well with no dropouts.

I need to be able to have 256 samples of latency because 512 causes too much delay from time I strike a key to time the sound can be heard.. doesn't feel "live" enough for me. So 256 is imperative.

I am running a quad core i7 with 8 GB of RAm so this has nothing to do with my machine

Help

Re: Crackling with FF800 when buffer size set to 256 samples or lower

What computer, what Firewire chipset?

Are you running any system monitoring utilities?  Those little programs that display motherboard temperatures can be surprisingly intrusive.

Have you set processor priority to Background Services?

(Can anyone confirm that this tweak - probably the only really essential one on a modern Windows system - is still relevant with multi-core processors?)

3 (edited by dailymixdown.com 2010-12-05 20:21:27)

Hi Laurence. Long time, no see. smile As stated, I am using Windows 7 64bit.

ASuS P6T i7 920 chipset
Via 1394 firewire chip

No craplets running in background

Update: I installed an old Adaptec firewire card with a TI chipset and the crackling and dropouts are gone.  What a shame FW is so fickle. Thanks Laurence for alluding to chipsets. I recall now that Via chipsets don't have the right stuff for audio