1 (edited by Schubertriad 2010-12-08 11:36:45)

Topic: UFX & Express card

Bonjour !

Does the UFX fully match with the HDSPe ExpressCard in terms of hardware and RME's proprietary software protocol?
My current laptop is soon to stop operation, and I am looking at a possible Sony VAIO providing the express slot
This to ensure a truly independent and robust audio transfer using the Fw, while USBs will be assigned to HD & memory sticks, other confortable trackball and also my current lovely FFUC when less mic channels would be required

Another questions regarding the front USB for Direct To Disk recording
- When do you plan it available for the market, at least testing ?
- Shall it double the audio stream with the one of the main USB / Fw channel to the computer, allowing a full redundancy of audio material ?

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

Re: UFX & Express card

Schubertriad wrote:

Does the UFX fully match with the HDSPe ExpressCard in terms of hardware and RME's proprietary software protocol?

If you are referring to the connection used for external HDSP units (Multiface), this is different... The UFX is a regular Firewire device.

Another questions regarding the front USB for Direct To Disk recording
- When do you plan it available for the market, at least testing?
- Shall it double the audio stream with the one of the main USB / Fw channel to the computer, allowing a full redundancy of audio material ?

No date set yet. But I would assume it will allow redundant recording.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Shall it double the audio stream with the one of the main USB / Fw channel to the computer, allowing a full redundancy of audio material ?

As written in the manual it records the UFX inputs to an USB device plugged in the front of the UFX. This does not use or affect the USB/FireWire connection to the host computer.

best regards
Knut

4 (edited by Schubertriad 2010-12-08 15:14:55)

Thanks Knut and Daniel

If you are referring to the connection used for external HDSP units (Multiface), this is different... The UFX is a regular Firewire device.

so what, plugging any express to Firewire device off the shelf would not offer significant advantage over USB ... mmmh

Those RME clubbers already having the RME proven Expresscard  would have been granted with the UFX as a comfortable unit for  range expansion
I have no clue if it's feasable, but setting at power-up or from USB entry what Firewire protocol to address would make the UFX even more attractive maybe, just an idea HeadScratch
See at the FFUC which can operate from ever the PC or the Mac world ..:cool:

all the best

The ExpressCard does not use FireWire. The protocol on its FW connector is totally different. Asthe ExpressCard takes over lots of action it cannot work together with the UFX without also completely redesigning the ExpressCard firmware. Got it? :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

got it thanks, Matthias

Talking about Firewire was unappropriate as I was thinking the ExpressCard as a gateway from a software extend
Just a matter of firmware then, assuming that both hardware at each end have no conflictable I/Os or power supplies
I would have found the UFX firmware upgrade somehow granted with the unit interfaced from either:
- Firewire
- USB
- ExpressCard
where the last here would even more intensify the brand versatility, robustness against data transfer, and sustainability values
you know that of the time being ...

all the best