1 (edited by korg_nikos 2010-12-08 14:37:55)

Topic: HDSP 9632 Hammerfall DSP Settings

Hi to all.

I own an HDSP 9632 PCI and i am planning to use its Analogue Inputs/Outputs with a Mackie CFX16 MKII 16 channel Mixer in my Home Studio. I have to mention that i will not use the standard unbalanced breakout cable and i have already purchased the Balanced XLR Breakout Cable.

I will connect RME's XLR Outputs 1 and 2 to Mackie's Stereo Input 15-16 using 2 "XLR to TRS" cables.
I will connect Mackie's Aux Sends 1 and 2 to RME's XLR Inputs 1 and 2 using 2 "TRS to XLR" cables

(You may wonder why i need to do this since RME HDSP 9632 offers a very convenient Software Mixer and Loopback option. This is another discussion but i just wanna say that i have reasons for controlling hardware faders of externally connected hardware audio equipment (not only the ones of my hardware mixer) in Real Time along recording process.)

Anyway my Mackie Mixer is equipped with Balanced Connectors so the Audio Path from RME to Mackie and from Mackie to RME will be balanced.

Now the questions.

Since I have XLR breakout cable i need to check "Break Out Cable XLR" checkbox under Hammerfall DSP Settings.

1. Which Input and Output level setting would you recommend for Analog Line Input and Output respectively?
Input: (Lo Gain, +4dBu or -10dBV?)
Output: (Hi Gain, +4dBu or -10dBV?)

2. If I have "Break Out Cable XLR" checked does this "lock" the above Output Level setting and its reference to a particular value of the three mentioned above?

I have already read the manual but that point was not very clear to me.

Thanks in advance

Re: HDSP 9632 Hammerfall DSP Settings

korg_nikos wrote:

1. Which Input and Output level setting would you recommend for Analog Line Input and Output respectively?
Input: (Lo Gain, +4dBu or -10dBV?)
Output: (Hi Gain, +4dBu or -10dBV?)

That depends on the levels going in and out of the Mackie - most likely +4 will work just fine.

2. If I have "Break Out Cable XLR" checked does this "lock" the above Output Level setting and its reference to a particular value of the three mentioned above?

No.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: HDSP 9632 Hammerfall DSP Settings

Thanks for your confirmations Daniel.