Topic: What spec should I buy to record 48 audio channels over madi?

Hi

I have just purchased a Digico SD8 digital mixing console for LIVE sound engineering.

As one of the features is an extra madi out I want to take advantage of making live recordings of the gig and run virtual sound checks.

I am currently a Logic 9 user on a OX platform (imacs)

Before I buy a new mac I would like some help on what spec will happily record 48 audio channels and play out 48 audio channels.

In an ideal world I would like it on a Mac book pro as I can install parallels and use the same computer to run the Digico SD8 remote software.

I have looked at those two options:

Option 1
Use a RME Madiface
MacBook Pro 17-inch, 2.53GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
Priced at £1,939.00 inc vat GBP

Is there any mileage in upgrading to 2.66GHz Intel Core i7?
Is a 128GB Solid State Drive a better way to go?

Option 2
Use a RME HDSPE Madi pci card (im guessing I will need the (express) version.
Mac Pro with One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”, 3 GB (3 x 1 GB), 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Priced at £1,999.00 inc vat GBP

Thanks

David

Re: What spec should I buy to record 48 audio channels over madi?

Hi David,
Either system should be fine. The desktop is overkill unless you doing something more than just recording.
If you're doing 1 or more recordings I'd recommend using the 500 gig 7200 rpm drive. You can do 64 plus tracks easily on them.
At least on PC systems you can which is what we do.
If you recording are an hour or under then the SSD will be fine albeit overpriced.
You won't need the faster processors on either machine unless you are doing production work as well.
I would recommend t 8 gigs not 4 though. It will help even 32 bit programs especially with longer recordings.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg