Topic: UFX Driver Issues After Computer Stand-By

Hi,
Using FF UFX (USB) with lateset driver and firmware, WinXP Pro SP3 (with all latest updates).

Everyday when I finish work I put computer in Stand-By mode.
Before entering Stand-By mode, I turn UFX off and wait about 10-15 seconds for the driver to unload.
After computer wakes-up I turn UFX on and wait a few seconds for the driver to load again.

I found two issues that occour after reproducing the steps above:

1. When a channel is set to "Loopback", the Loopback option appears active on TMFX, but does not work.
I have to turn loopback off and on again on that channel for loopback to work again.
Screenshot showing Loopback is active, but no input signal on recording host:
[img align=C]http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/5055/loopback.jpg[/img]

2. Sometimes (not always), after computer wake-up, the driver dialog thinks it has additional hardware (FF UC, Gain, LTC).
This is fixed only after fully restarting the computer. (And if trying to click on those added tabs, the driver dialog crashes...)
Screenshot:
[img align=C]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9552/ffdrv.jpg[/img]

Thanks.

Re: UFX Driver Issues After Computer Stand-By

1. Is that really caused by standby or could you see the same error by just turning off and on?

2. Will be hard to fix, we first need a way to reproduce it. But we will try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. I guess it's more related to turning UFX off and on - maybe it's a firmware issue that channels' Loopback state is not restored from device memory after restart?
I guess this test is easier for you to check. If needed, I'll check it later today and update when I can.

2. I'm almost sure that this happens when Cubase (5.52) is open while computer goes to stand-by mode.
Earlier today I saw that after closing Cubase, the driver dialog returned to "normal" state (without these tabs).
Another thing that I saw after computer wake-up (again, Cubase was open since last stand-by) is that Cubase complained about Sample Rate change to 32KHz - so maybe that helps.

Thanks.

Your description is unclear - you just tell us that you switch off the Fireface UFX while Cubase is still running - I can't believe that...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I know it doesn't sound good. It's just I'm used to do that since I had an internal sound card (PCI), so I didn't think about it too much... lol
If I reverse the order (put computer in standby first and then turn UFX off, and turn it on before computer wakeup - so driver will not unload at all), is it supposed to work or should I expect other problems?

Hi Matthias,
About the loopback issue, I've checked it now and as you said, it's not related to standby.
Everytime UFX is turned off and on, it's not working and I have to turn loopback off and on on the channel for it to work.

That will be fixed. About the other one: you can not remove the audio driver/hardware a DAW software is currently depending on without getting severe and crazy side effects. If that worked before - consider yourself lucky (jackpot). You must do it like you described in the above last post, that is the correct way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, thanks Matthias.