1 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-12-23 22:55:22)

Topic: Using SPDIF out to a TC Electronics BMC-2

Hi smile

I can't seem to get this to work, I have no idea why. I've connected my speakers to the monitor outputs, and the SPDIF between my FF800 and BMC-2. In my Totalmix I can see the output signal but I cant get any sound. I've also set default playback device as Digital Audio (S/PDIF) in win 7.
Everything works fine with regular analog outputs though.
Can someone point me in the right direction? I've never used S/PDIF before tongue

The grenn light in the front of the RME is not lit up... Dont know why, in the totalmix everything seems to look like it should. I've routed the signal to the spdif and everything hmm

Re: Using SPDIF out to a TC Electronics BMC-2

Green LED is only for SPDIF In, using the output does not affect this sync light. Are you using coax or optical SPDIF?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-12-23 23:15:23)

Right now I'm just using a regular Phono to phono cable.

http://i.imgur.com/3yYxe.jpg <-- This is how things look.

Seems like a question for TC... Does the unit show incoming SPDIF?
Try looping the FF's SPDIF back to its own input (clock mode Master). Do you see the incoming signal in the mixer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-12-23 23:18:31)

No, the BMC-2 doesnt get any SPDIF signal hmm

If that is just ctrl+clicking the SPDIF channels so it becomes red, then nothing happens hmm

The BMC-2 is new from the store today, so weird if it doesnt work hmm

Set FF clock to "Internal" the connect the physical SPDIF cable from out to in. Check for signal on the top row in the FF mixer. If present, then you have a problem with the TC unit (most likely wrong settings).

Are you using a proper 75 ohm coax cable?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, I meant a physical loopback...
Got any other SPDIF sources to test the TC with?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Jeff wrote:

Set FF clock to "Internal" the connect the physical SPDIF cable from out to in. Check for signal on the top row in the FF mixer. If present, then you have a problem with the TC unit (most likely wrong settings).

Are you using a proper 75 ohm coax cable?

Ive tried switching the clock to internal. The signal's I'm getting is the same as the picture I posted.

I'm using this kind of cable: http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/rw50_2003.jpg <-- I'm not sure if that is 75ohm.

RME Support wrote:

Yes, I meant a physical loopback...
Got any other SPDIF sources to test the TC with?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Unfortunatly I don't. I'll have to see if someone I know maybe has one I can test it with.

That is the wrong cable, it's just a standard analog RCA. It can work for short runs, but you would need to connect the cables correctly. Out goes to In, and vice versa - don't just connect red to red and white to white.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

That is the wrong cable, it's just a standard analog RCA. It can work for short runs, but you would need to connect the cables correctly. Out goes to In, and vice versa - don't just connect red to red and white to white.

Hahaha! oh my god, im so stupid hmm I didn't think about that! Thanks alot anyway big_smile *Facepalm*