Topic: TotalMix, iTunes, turntables, Mackie Control

Hi,

I am new to this list, though have been using a MultiFace for many years. I am trying a new device configuration in which I want to control TotalMix with a Mackie MCU Pro, and can't seem to get it to work. So, I wonder whether anyone out there can help.

This is the configuration:
- iTunes audio, which automatically appears at Playback channels 1 and 2 (middle row)
- Turntable 1, connected to Input channels 3 and 4 (top row)
- Turntable 2, connected to Input channels 5 and 6 (top row)

What I want to achieve is control (say a volume of) these 3 audio streams using my Mackie, and send the resulting mix to 2 Output channels, which then get connected to an amplifier etc.

However, I am running into trouble because:
- the 3 audio signals are on different rows in TotalMix (2 are in the top row, 1 is in the middle row)
- MIDI control of TotalMix seems to only be assignable in 8 consecutive channels, i.e. I can't set it up such that Playback channels 1 and 2 (middle row)  and Input channels 3 through 6 (top row) are controllable.

I thought I had found a workaround by using Loopback mode:
- send Playback channels 1 and 2 to Output channels 1 and 2
- turn on Loopback mode for Output channels 1 and 2, as a result of which the iTunes audio appears on Input channels 1 and 2
- Control Input channels 1 through 6 using MIDI and Mackie
- Send all Input channels 1 through 6 to Output channels 3 and 4 and from there to the amplifier etc.

However, while obviously Input channels 3, 4, 5, and 6 can be sent to Output 3 and 4, somehow Input channels 1 and 2 (on which I now have the iTunes audio) can't. They just don't appear there.

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

Cheers

Herbert

Re: TotalMix, iTunes, turntables, Mackie Control

The internal loopback goes to the record software, not back to the mixer. Use external cabling for the loopback and it will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, Matthias. That works indeed. If I understand correctly, this approach involves conversions of the iTunes audio from digital to analogue to digital to analogue. Not that I can hear any difference ...

Cheers

Herbert

hvdsomp wrote:

Thanks, Matthias. That works indeed. If I understand correctly, this approach involves conversions of the iTunes audio from digital to analogue to digital to analogue.

Not if you do an SPDIF loopback.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME