Topic: FF UC USB interference

Hi Guys.

Just purchased a Fireface UC. Latest driver, TotalMix FX 0.924, latest firmware.

I run it with an iMac Core i3 and then unsymmetrically connect Line Out 1+2 with Yamaha HS 80 monitors. So far so good, nothing to complain about when listening to music from iTunes. BUT:

When I launch Logic Pro 9 or Cubase 5.5, the noise floor over the monitors increases dramatically. Stronger in the left monitor than in the right one but definitely on both. I can only hear it when the DAW doesn't play back anything but it's fairly noticeable then.

Now here comes the tricky part:

When I change sample rate, the pitch changes. And when I increase sample buffer size from 32 to 64 and 128, that changes pitch, too. So it's probably still there at 128 and 256, just out of hearing range by then. I read somewhere that system audio is played back with a buffer size of 512, so that might explain the absence of the problem with iTunes.

Interestingly enough, I don't have any noise like that on the phones.

So, defective unit? Something to solve with symmetrical cabling (don't have any right now)? Something that will be fixed with a software update? At first I thought it was the USB carrier frequency but that's unlikely if sample buffer size changes pitch..

Re: FF UC USB interference

Might be a silly question but are you using balanced cables?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, that's what I was asking. I know the outputs are servo-symmetric but they should fall back to unsymmetric if I connect with simple mono jack cables, shouldn't they? The same cables seem to be nicely shielded when I connect my Mackie mixer with the monitor speakers. So I don't think it's a shielding problem.

No the mackie alone won't create the noise, it's the computer creating it.  My Mackie Onyx mixer is dead quiet with unbalanced cables until I plug my laptop into it via firewire and then the ground loop begins.

You need to run balanced everything when a computer is involved.

Hi

Well, the balanced cables solved the problem. Thanks.

Hi,
I have the same problem, the FF UC works well in iTunes but under LogicPro9, I have no sound or sometimes a very bad noise. My cables are OK : I plug it into the facial output ("monitor Ch. 7/8"), and it is a double jack that goes into my Yamaha monitors.
I have tried all outputs of the FF UC and all the outputs in the settings of Logic Pro.
What is the problem ? All my drivers have been updated, but it is still not working.
Can someone help me please ?
Thanks