1 (edited by europe 2010-12-30 15:22:57)

Topic: fireface 400 or fireface uc - macbook pro or pc

Hi,

I hope an administrator (or another expert ) can give me a clear good advice, because i’m not that technical, I’m a girl …
I’ve been trying to collect all possible information, but even thought I did spend days looking for answers, but all the information is just fragmented, and not complete.
Here are my questions:

1. When would you advise me a  FIREFACE 400 and when a FIREFACE UC ?
2.    Which one would you advice for a macbook pro ? And why ?
3.    Which one would you advice for a pc with a firewire port ? And why ?
4.    What would be the difference in using a FIREFACE 400 or a FIREFACE UC for a macbook pro ? What would be the advantages and disadvantages ?
5.    I did read about firewire connecting problems with (older?) Macbook pro’s on this forum: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986  however i don’t completely understand if there still could be a problem with any of the 2010 macbook pro’s ?

Thanks

Re: fireface 400 or fireface uc - macbook pro or pc

If you want the TotalMix FX GUI and/or want to use the FireWire port for other equipment choose the Fireface UC. If you need a bus-powered interface and/or want to use the USB ports for other equipment, choose the Fireface 400. Both run fine with the 2010 Macbook Pros.

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut,

Vielen Dank für Ihre Antword !
Are there any downsides on using the fireface 400 because it is buspowered ? Is the Fireface UC maybe a bit more stable on a laptop because it the FFUC is not buspowered, or could you say that  being buspowered isn’t a little bit more tricky in some situations ?

You wrote about the Totalmix FX GUI, hmm, I’m not sure what you mean with this, I only know that the babyface has Totalmix FX . Can you please specify what you meant to say ?

Grusse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

The UC mixer has got the looks of the new TM FX (without the effects), FF400 still has the old mixer graphics....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Are there any downsides on using the fireface 400 because it is buspowered ?

No.

If you don´t trust the bus-power, the Fireface 400 comes also with a power supply.

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut,

you wrote:If you don´t trust the bus-power, the Fireface 400 comes also with a power supply.

I just need to know in which situations it could be more tricky using the buspowered FF400. So it's not about if I (!) trust the buspower, i just dont know if it can be trusted in all situations, or a little less in particular situations/ set-ups etc... I'm very sure there must be some downsides at using a buspowered 400 of Babyface, like the battery of a laptop needs to be recharged more quickly, but unfortunately i'm not an expert in all things that could occur ... So i really hope you can help me with this !

Thanks.

I just need to know in which situations it could be more tricky using the buspowered FF400.

I´am not aware of such things. Of course, if the laptop runs on batteries it needs more power and needs indeed to be recharged sooner, but the Fireface UC without bus-power can´t be used witout it´s power supply.

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut,

Thank you for the clear answer !
I hope i can ask a few more questions.

Can i connect a Hammerfall DSP Multiface to a Babyface/FF400/FFUC, so i can create more I/O ?
If i can, will i only need to have an adat cable , and the Hammerfall adapter to make it work ? The Hammerfall has an ADAT SYNC and i believe a spdif/adat I/O, which all look much different from the ADAT I/O on the FFUC/FF400.....

And will i then also be able to use the midi i/o of the Hammerfall DSP multiface on top of the Babyface/FF400/FFUC ?

Are there any other things i need to know when i will connect these two devices ?

Grusse

The Multiface II provides a limited stand-alone operation (see the manual - disconnect mode). I don´t know your setup, but a second PC/Mac as host computer/notebook for the Multiface seems to be necessary.

For the use as simple ADAT converter you don´t need the ADAT sync port, just two digital optical cables. The MIDI I/O of the Multiface can not be used on top of the main interface.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for your quick reply ! Great service !!!