Topic: Noise on audio output using FF400

First of all I'de like to wish a Happy New Year to all of you!

Initially I used the head phone output of my Laptop (Sony Vaio VGNFW31J) to play audio files on my hifi set. There was always a noise noticeable whenever the laptop was connected to its power supply. I thought that I could overcome this problem by using a FF400 because the firewire i/f should not transport the noise. In case the laptop is running on battery the sound is brilliant! Running on the laptops power supply there is always this annoing buzz sound from the switching PS clearly noticeable again. Annnoing! Why is the firewire i/f transporting the noise? What can I do to overcome this issue?

Re: Noise on audio output using FF400

Google for '2 prong adapter' and 'ground loop'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ich versuchs mal auf Deutsch. Das Groundloop Thema versteh ich ja. Aber eigentlich dachte ich mir, dass ich mit dem Firewire Interface dieses Problem los werde. Dem ist offensichtlich nicht so. Aber ich habe nicht den 50Hz Netzbrumm, sondern eindeutig die Schaltnetzteil noise vom Laptop drinnen.

Hi,

Maybe it's simple as running every audio devices on the
same electrical connection point to avoid hum and electric/static noise
or perhaps the power supply is broken !?

regards S-EH

My FF400/ Toshiba laptop combo initially gave recordings with a nasty, rasping buzz.

This buzz had a real 'bed of nails' spectral appearance, with what appeared to be several interleaved harmonic series of spikes extending way up into high frequencies.

The remedy for me was to convert the 3-pin plug of the laptop power supply into 2-pin, by means of a short 3- to 2-pin extension cable. Ground lifted - buzz gone. Running off battery also worked.

I'll perfom some tests in changing the configuration today and will come up with a report afterwards.