1 (edited by gato 2010-12-26 20:08:49)

Topic: Quick Q: Routing babyface pre's into external fx back to babyface AD?

Is that possible with XLR's? I'd like to run a comp-eq after the baby pre's but going back into the baby for conversion.

edit: dual mono out. I'm guessing if this is possible:

Babyface pre's -> Dual mono xlr's or other possible solutions (?) -> stereo return into babyface with pre's bypassed (maybe 1/4?)

Re: Quick Q: Routing babyface pre's into external fx back to babyface AD?

You can't go into the pres and out again without AD/DA conversion.
Also, there is only one pair of analog inputs. You could do this with an effects unit with SPDIF I/O, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the fast response.

Is there a feature in the babyface (sorry I don't own it yet, so the manual) to track a mono vocal through the babyface pre's with an outboard mono compressor that has only an analog in? (balanced and unbalanced) So the vocals get printed with compression already.

Is there a feature in the babyface (sorry I don't own it yet, so the manual) to track a mono vocal through the babyface pre's with an outboard mono compressor that has only an analog in? (balanced and unbalanced) So the vocals get printed with compression already.

Sure, why not? If the Compressor has also an output ...

best regards
Knut

5 (edited by gato 2011-01-01 14:57:37)

Is there a breakout cable with rca's that works with the babyface? I'm looking in http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_cables.php but no one seems to work with it.

It would be ideal for me to have the possibility of an extra cable with digital RCA's and it would be a dream with unbalanced/balanced jack  outs and inputs, too in the same cable.

There's only one jack input in the babyface from what I see.

Thanks and happy new decade.

The unbalanced breakout cable from HDSPe AIO/HDSP 9632 works with the Baybface.

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_cables_bo9632cmkh.jpg

Digital RCA connectors are of course not possible. The breakout cable and the 15-pin connector on the Babyface provide no digital I/Os.

best regards
Knut

gato wrote:

Is that possible with XLR's? I'd like to run a comp-eq after the baby pre's but going back into the baby for conversion.

edit: dual mono out. I'm guessing if this is possible:

Babyface pre's -> Dual mono xlr's or other possible solutions (?) -> stereo return into babyface with pre's bypassed (maybe 1/4?)

I have tried. but failed. any one knows how to do it?

8 (edited by gato 2011-01-02 04:22:04)

Hopefully we can add another BO9632XLRMKH breakout cable like the one in stock with the babyface or should I just connect/link my digi 003 for being able to use hardware comp/fx? That would be a mess as I have them in different places.

I'd like to connect a compressor for tracking (XLR), a 1/4 balanced/unbalanced or digital rca's fx unit for mixing and a balanced XLR's buss compressor for mixing too.

Would this work for mixing?
1st instance: XLR outs -> outboard compressors -> Inputs 1 and 2 Babyface --> print
2nd instance (separated): a. phones 1/4 stereo out -> outboard fx unit -> instrument 1/4 input babyface -> print
                                    b. ?

No idea for tracking with a XLR hardware comp.

I have tried. but failed. any one knows how to do it?

As written above: this is of course not possible. I´am not aware of any interface, that provides physical outputs after the preamp chip and inputs before the AD stage. Such a setup would just need more inputs, e.g. an 8-channel ADAT converter with the Babyface.

best regards
Knut

10 (edited by panatrope 2011-01-02 09:08:08)

I have observed, for example, that the P**S**** F***Studio Project has 8 mic pres, two of which have line level insert (send/return) before the A/D.  But its pres aren't digitally controlled ... and it's FW not USB.  Not aware of any USB interfaces with insert - yet.

Unfortunately, it is almost as rare for external FX gear to have digital in and out in optical format to match the BabyFace Toslink S-PDIF insert I/O capability - they almost universally have only coax.  More business for Mr Hosa?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Ok, thanks for your time.

So I understand that the babyface has 1 insert point for an external hardware comp. It would go like this:

Mic -> babyface pre -> babyface xlr out -> hardware mono compressor I/O -> babyface pre xlr

Or do I need an external I/O expansion?

Or do I need an external I/O expansion?

With an ADAT converter the Babyface provides 8 inputs and outputs more.

best regards
Knut