Topic: Recording keyboards with ff400

Hello everyone :-)

I have some questions regarding what is the best way to record a keyboard signal in fireface.

1) Which inputs are the best to use? All my keyboards have unbalanced outputs. I can record them directly via instrument inputs on front panel but I can also go through DI box, and then go balanced in rear inputs. This seems as a better option since rear inputs have slightly better specs.

2) Sometimes I have problems with low signal strength (e.g. some piano sounds cant go over -15db). So, should I record them without preamplification (lo gain) on input stage and then raise volume levels in nuendo, or should I use fireface input preamps  (+4 dbU)? Are there any sonic differences between these two? In the first case I am amplifying the signal AFTER the AD conversion and in the second BEFORE the AD conversion.

3) Sometimes I use digital connection to record my Motif classic. Levels can also be low on some pads and synths even though motif is working on its highest level. Should I worry about that since there is no hissing and noise in digital realm? HeadScratch

Re: Recording keyboards with ff400

Thanks a lot guys! DeadHorse

A DI box usually converts a line level, high impedance, unbalanced output from guitar, keyboards etc. into a balanced _mic level_ signal, to go into the mic inputs of a preamp or mixer. So your DI output needs to go into the two front mic inputs of the FF400. not the rear line level inputs (which won't provide enough amplification).

4 (edited by Vladac 2010-12-30 15:47:52)

I dont think so. I have DI4000, and it converts unbalanced signal into balanced line level signal. When I record through it, signal strength remains unaltered.

5 (edited by julien breval 2011-01-05 23:30:41)

Well, most DI boxes are designed for using them with microphone inputs, and some active ones may even run on phantom power. That said, it's likely that some DI boxes convert to line level. But the DI4000 manual schematics show that this DI box is intended to be used with microphone inputs:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/p … _M_ENG.pdf
(see fig 2.2 on page 9)

Anyway, why don't you connect your keyboards directly to the front instrument inputs? Is it sure that the "DI box + microphone input" subsystem is better than a single front input? You should record to both at the same time and listen to the difference (at the very same monitoring level of course).

I personally use the front instrument inputs as I don't have any DI box.

About question 2), I would say that when doing 24-bit recording, -15dB peaks are correct: you can boost the signal in Nuendo (and most modern DAWs) without losing significant dynamics or cleaness.
Which keyboards are you talking about?

3) It's better and simpler to record in digital if you can, because you don't have to worry about levels, etc. If some levels are low, maybe it's for you can stack lots of sounds on the Motif without getting any full scale distorsion.

"[...] since there is no hissing and noise in digital realm?"
Well, if you record with too much noise, there is too much noise no matter if you are working in digital or analogue.

Once you have recorded your signals, are you getting too much noise when boosting them in Nuendo?

Best,
-j