Topic: UFX- computer not powerful enough?

Hello! As I am a new member here- first of all I want to introduce myself. I am Polish musician (oboe) and recording engineer of classical music (self- learnt).
Up till now, I use to work on PreSonus Fire Studio together with DigiMax FS. That gear was ridden by quite moderate Pentium M laptop.  Since few days I am a happy owner of wonderful RME Fireface UFX :-)
Besides I am very happy with all its features and sound quality, there are a few problems, I would be glad someone helped me to solve.
First one- my old laptop, which I really need ONLY for multitrack recording (all further editing I do on another big computer, at home). It was sufficient for recording 16 tracks (88/24) on PreSonus but UFX seems to be too big challenge for it. USB connection makes system operates smoothly but there are some occasional dropouts in recording. FireWire- on contrary- makes Cubase 5 almost frozen but recording goes perfectly. (Funny jumps of cursor…)
My question is- does it make any sense to buy new computer or wait for UFX's front USB to be usable. (Then computer resources will only be needed for system operation, not for very recording- AM I RIGHT??)
Another question-
When I use ADAT connection and next time don’t need it (ADAT preamps powered- off)- and vice-versa- starting Cubase makes system crash with that funny blue color wink
What has to be done- after each change of ADAT configuration I have to start Cubase… without any driver and next time switch UFX on.  Is there any way of escaping that annoying procedure?
Thanks in advance

Re: UFX- computer not powerful enough?

Hi!

this is (as you already mentioned) very similar to my problems with the UFX (see http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=48052)
And I dont want to get new computers (also my new QuadCore...) for better USB, because Firewire works PERFECT!

For your issue with ADAT, I cant follow you... turning off the DigimaxFS (BTW: I also own one!) just gives you no more output in totalmix, but no change at all in Windows with ASIO... here you will have 30 channels at any time, regardless of an existing signal?

greets,

Mike

mkropfbe wrote:

Hi!

For your issue with ADAT, I cant follow you... turning off the DigimaxFS (BTW: I also own one!) just gives you no more output in totalmix, but no change at all in Windows with ASIO... here you will have 30 channels at any time, regardless of an existing signal?

greets,

Mike

Well… yes- you are right and, according to the logical thinking, it should work in that way; turning ADAT on or off has nothing to ASIO or Windows. But reality is somehow different! Maybe I was not clear enough, so once more- simple scenario: let’s say, need plenty preamps so turn Digimax on. OK. Works perfectly. Next time I don’t need so many channels so leave Digimax off. Computer on, fireface on… works wonderfully ;-) Then let’s start Cubase and we have perfect… catastrophe!:-O What is now the only remedy? Turn on computer again, but DO NOT switch fireface yet! Start Cubase- there should no driver (or other if you have one). That’s all! Exit Cubase and start again with desired ADAT configuration. Funny, isn’t it?

hmmmm.... and what is set as the Sync master? the UFX should be the Master, digiFX the slave... are you using WordClock or ADAT ?
I use WordClock cable...

greets,
Mike

mkropfbe wrote:

hmmmm.... and what is set as the Sync master? the UFX should be the Master, digiFX the slave... are you using WordClock or ADAT ?
I use WordClock cable...

greets,
Mike

Well... it actually doesn’t matter what is master and what slave. Synchronization works perfectly. What does NOT work is behavior of system after any change of configuration. It looks like if Cubase “gets used” to one configuration and next time behaves like a child who didn’t get his toy ;-)

6 (edited by grzesiustecu 2010-12-31 17:30:44)

So I decided to buy new Laptop! It is Samsung R580, Intel Core i5 460M, LCD 15,6, ATI HD 5470, Memory 3 Gb, HDD 320 Gb, Windows 7 Home Premium. It has no firewire, only USB.
Has anybody got any idea how to optimalize its performance? Maybe RME authority would help with their advice? It would be helpful not only for me but for many other users of UFX… I want to use this laptop only for audio (Cubase 5), no other functions or programs.
Thanks in advance!

Well... nobody seemed to have any idea  but I managed myself :-p I installed laptop’s default Windows 7 and next… uninstalled everything that was possible (both hardware and software, as well) ending up (down, actually ;-) with DPC latency around 80. Then installed card’s drivers (USB) and Cubase. Now it works like a dream showing all UFX’s beauty :-)

Glad you got it working. I have a current Samsung Red with nVidia graphics, and that machine (although comparable to yours) sucks big time in terms of DPC latency.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by grzesiustecu 2011-01-10 10:37:15)

When searching for my laptop I new that nVidia should be avoided for music machine. ATI über alles! ;-)
Regards