1 (edited by Phil 2011-01-10 12:56:29)

Topic: performance advice

hi friends,

for the first time I install my FF400 on a W7 computer. All is fine.
I would like to know opinions of similar users about performance, it woud be nice, as I could search more further.

Pc :
- ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 (BIOS v2.61)
- I7 920
- Corsair XMS3 "Triple Channel" 12 gb
- graphics : ASUSTeK EN9600GT SILENT/2D/512MD3 - 512 Mo - PCI Express (NVIDIA GeForce, latest drivers)
- system HD : Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s
- audio HD : another Barracuda
- sound bank HD : again another different Barracuda
- Win7 64b (very little tweak : parking core disabled, Aero off)
- Sequoia v11.2 (set to load only 3 cores, trackspeed off)

Settings and test :
New 44.1k project in Sequoia, only one track, loaded with Kontakt and one sound, keyboard or MIDI-guitar plug into MIDI in.
Sequoia engine mode : Hybrid (all to the right), monitoring on.
FF400 : here we go : I can't go lowest than 128 samples, if so, I've got LABs in Sequoia , even with the CPU @ 5%.

Is it normal with this kind of configuration ? I think I can do the same with the old P4 where the FF400 was...

Thanx in advance,
cheers
Phil

- UCX - Fireface 400 - Sequoia v11.2 -

Re: performance advice

My old laptop and my old P4 can both go down to 48 samples though I use 64 or 128. I am sure your desktop is way more performant. Maybe it has to do with the FW chipset (not sure as I don't know the ASUS P6T Deluxe v2). Is Sequoia CPU-hungry? Did you run the DPC latency checker software? Also, on my laptop, wireless LAN has to be disabled for proper audio playback. I never had wireless LANs on desktops so I don't know if it's important.

Best,
-j

thanx very much.

Unfortunately, FW chipset is VIA on these ASUS. Perhaps there's something here... But, my MOTU 2408 is PCIe... and it is the same, or a very little better, although it goes down to 16 samples !!

This computer is not connected, no LAN, no WIFI, nothing. Only one soft + vst and vsti, no antivirus, nothing else.
DPC stays in the green part, max 100µs.
Samplitude and Sequoia are known to not be the best in very low latency support, but no more CPU-hungry than others, I think...

cheers
Phil

- UCX - Fireface 400 - Sequoia v11.2 -

Get a TI firewire card! You can find them for very little money.

Isaac P