Topic: Newby to S/MUX-some questions before I get going

I'm getting ready to wire in a fairly involved hardware configuration. I need to be able to switch sample rates between projects while not having to physicaly repatch any gear. I'll be using a MADI PCI/ADI 648. When changing from a 44.1 KHz projects to a 88.2 KHz projects do the HDSP MADI/ADI 648 channels reconfigure as follows??:

ADI 648 ADAT I/O 1
channels 1 & 2 combine to create channel 1
channels 3 & 4 combine to create channel 2
channels 5 & 6 combine to create channel 3
channels 7 & 8 combine to create channel 4
ADI 648 ADAT 1/O 2
channels 9 & 10 combine to create channel 5
channels 11 & 12 combine to create channel 6
channels 13 & 14 combine to create channel 7
channels 15 & 16 combine to create channel 8

or is it.....

ADI 648 ADAT I/O 1
channels 1 & 3 combine to create channel 1
channels 2 & 4 combine to create channel 2
channels 5 & 7 combine to create channel 3
channels 6 & 8 combine to create channel 4
ADI 648 ADAT 1/O 2
channels 9 & 11 combine to create channel 5
channels 10 & 12 combine to create channel 6
channels 13 & 15 combine to create channel 7
channels 14 & 16 combine to create channel 8

or is it

ADI 648 ADAT I/O channels 1 & 2 combine with ADI 648 ADAT I/O 9 & 10 to create channel 1 & 2
ADI 648 ADAT I/O channels 3 & 4 combine with ADI 648/ADAT I/O 11 & 12 to create channel 3 & 4
ADI 648 ADAT I/O channels 5 & 6 combine with ADI 648 ADAT I/O 13 & 14 to create channel 5 & 6
ADI 648 ADAT I/O channels 7 & 8 combine with ADI 648 ADAT I/O 15 & 16 to create channel 7 & 8

I just need to know ahead of time before I jump into this. I'm going to be having to do this install without any assistance and I don't want to spend a whole day getting this wired in and then end up with a total cluster**** in my signal routing.

Is there a .pdf on this somewhere on RME's website?

Many thanks in advance.

wink

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

Re: Newby to S/MUX-some questions before I get going

S/MUX only takes place during the audio data transfer, you won't actually be seeing any of it inside your audio application. The MADI card (and Totalmix) will just switch from having 64 channels to having 32, you don't need to worry about which channels become which....
As for the 648, each ADAT interface will be switched to four channels, there's a detailed table in the manual.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by animix 2007-09-29 22:12:25)

RME Support wrote:

S/MUX only takes place during the audio data transfer, you won't actually be seeing any of it inside your audio application. The MADI card (and Totalmix) will just switch from having 64 channels to having 32, you don't need to worry about which channels become which....
As for the 648, each ADAT interface will be switched to four channels, there's a detailed table in the manual.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm getting ready to wire up a lot of RME hardware. I'm configuring two DAWs Master/Slave, both running Cubase 4. In my Master DAW, I've got an AES 32/BOB, a MADI card, an ADI 648, an ADI4-DD, 2 x ADI 8-DD's and 2 x ADI 8-DS units. In the slave DAW I'm running a Multiface PCI.

4 x stereo channels of the AES 32 will be interfacing with the ADI 8-DD units and the AES I/O of 4 x outboard reverb/multiFX processors which will down/upsampled for use as send/FX in Cubase by using the ADI 8-DD units.

The other 4 x AES 32 channels will be interfacing with converters and processors that are 88.2KHz capable.

As for the MADI/ADI 648, what I would like to accomplish is this:

ADAT 1 I/O patched to the ADI 4-DD
Channel 1 & 2 input of the ADI 4-DD receiving the S/PDIF output from the Multiface slave unit
Channel 1 & 2 output of the ADI 4-Dd unit sending the stereo output of the DAW to a Benchmark DAC-1

ADI 4-DD I/O 3 & 4 not used because they will be combined with Channels 1 & 2 of the ADI 4-DD when used at 88.2 sample rates-correct?

ADI 4-DD I/O 5 & 6 patched into a Mytek Stereo AD/DA units

ADI 4-DD I/O 7 & 8 not used because they will be combined with Channels 5 & 6 of the ADI 4-DD when used at 88.2 sample rates-correct?

ADAT 2 I/O patched to the ADAT I/O of the Multiface Slave, which when running both DAWs at 88.2KHz.

I just want to be sure that, when configured in this manner and using 88.2 sample rates on the master and slave DAWS, the various devices would show up in Totalmix and Cubase VST I/O as follows:

HDSP MADI 1 I/O would be left channel of ADI 4-DD channel 1 & 2 which are interfacing with the Slave DAW output L and the Benchmark DAC-1 input L
HDSP MADI 2 I/O would be right channel of ADI 4-DD channel 1 & 2 which are interfacing with the Slave DAW output R and the Benchmark DAC-1 input R

HDSP MADI 3 I/O would be left channel of ADI 4-DD channel 5 & 6 which are interfacing with the Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA L
HDSP MADI 4 I/O would be right channel of ADI 4-DD channel 5 & 6 which are interfacing with the Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA R

HDSP MADI 5 I/O would be left channel signal from Multiface ADAT I/O 1 & 2 on slave DAW
HDSP MADI 6 I/O would be right channel signal from Multiface ADAT I/O 1 & 2 on slave DAW

HDSP MADI 7 I/O would be left channel signal from Multiface ADAT I/O 3 & 4 on slave DAW
HDSP MADI 8 I/O would be right channel signal from Multiface ADAT I/O 3 & 4 on slave DAW

I don't want to spend a whole day getting this wired in and suddenly have signals from the left channel routed to/from one hardware device and signals on the right channel routed to/from another hardware device.

I will check the manual again. It was late last night when I was reading it and I'm sure I missed it.

Best regards and thank you for your help,
:-)

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

I guess I could ask this another (and much simpler way.......

If I connected three ADI4-DD units to ADAT ports 1, 2, and 3 and I set the
clock rate to 88.2, would I get an AES stereo I/O on 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 of the
AES input/output of each of the three ADI 4-DD units?

Thanks,
:-)