Topic: Firewire doesnt work on my RME Fireface UFX !

Hi guys,

I've just bought my RME Fireface UFX today and much to my dismay, the firewire connection doesn't work. I've tested it on my PC and MAC setups, both using the Firewire and USB ports - also, i've tried a different firewire cable and nothing comes out (or the blue led lights up) when the firewire is connected. So, for now only USB working - which is not my preferred connection. Can anyone help with this / Is there any special trick anyone should know when using firewire ?

Also, is there any good tutorial for connecting the behringer bcf2000 to the ufx unit ?

Thanks for everything,
Pedro

Re: Firewire doesnt work on my RME Fireface UFX !

...both using the Firewire and USB ports

You connect both at the same time? USB gets always priority. http://www.rme-audio.de/ufxfaq

best regards
Knut

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! Nope, i've connected them separately to avoid any conflicts or confusions!

Pedro

You installed the UFX FireWire driver?

best regards
Knut

It doesnt even recognize the soundcard! When i try to run the firewire installer nothing happens.

What you mean by 'FireWire installer'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi!

I really meant installing the device using firewire (as the software doesnt have any specific installer)! So, the procedure was :

- Plugging the firewire device to the computer, turning the device on (in this case, the RME Fireface) and waiting for Windows to show up the 'Driver installation required' - unfortunately this window didnt show up and no firewire device was recognized by the computer. Also, same thing on Mac, the device doesnt show up in the device list.
- Trying to install the files, by running the .inf file (right click on it, then choosing install) - nothing happens. Even if i run the .exe files, they dont open and say that there was an error. On Mac, cant do nothing regarding this.

Is my Fireface tragically bugged ? Thanks!

Pedro

Sorry, but you don´t installed the FireWire driver for the UFX - of course it can´t work. As the manual and our FAQ list shows the UFX needs a different driver for FireWire and USB.

Please download the latest driver from the RME FireWire drivers website and read the instructions for the Windows installation. http://www.rme-audio.de/drivers_fireface

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut, thanks!

I've tried that too! The problems here are:
_ Soundcard doesnt get recognized when plugged in via Firewire
_ When i plug the device without the driver installed, then, when i try to install it, an error shows up and the soundcard isnt detected.
_ Trying to install the driver without any device (RME Fireface) attached doesnt work too.

Things that may have caused this :
_ Firewire cable, already checked with one i had and that works
_ Firewire port on the computer and mac, already checked and its working properly with my old motu 828 - also, its a VIA chipset and not Agere (on the pc).

Any further help or is it better if i trade my rme unit with a new one ?

Thanks,
Pedro

trapuh wrote:

- Plugging the firewire device to the computer, turning the device on (in this case, the RME Fireface) and waiting for Windows to show up the 'Driver installation required' - unfortunately this window didnt show up and no firewire device was recognized by the computer.

Which would be fully normal under Windows 7 - what are you using?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks! I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on an Intel Quad i7 2.8ghz and with 6gb RAM!

Pedro

...and missed this one:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Haha, thanks! I sure did missed that one! I'm going to try it now and let you know the outcome!

Hi Matthias, just tested those install instructions, here's the outcome:
_ The device doesnt show up on the list
_ Again, (and as described on the first post i've made) the blue FW LED on the front of the unit didnt lit up
_ Unable to install drivers

Any further help or is it ok for me to contact my dealer to trade the unit for a new one ?

Thanks,
Pedro

Hi there,

Is there anything else anyone can advise me to do before i contact my dealer ?

Thanks,
Pedro

That would be the first UFX where FW is broken. Can you check the UFX on a different computer?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by trapuh 2011-01-18 17:10:27)

Hi,

So i guess i'm a lucky guy! Despite having this problem and all the hassle it may cause, i'm still pretty happy with the Fireface and in no way i can be upset with RME... the sound quality its just stunning and makes me wanna scream to everybody "hey, just buy an RME Fireface NOW!" smile)

Now, regarding this, I've checked the unit on my PC and Mac Book! I will ask a friend or bring the Fireface to work and test it on one of the computers here! I'll let you know the outcome. (By the way, my firewire connection on both PC and Mac is working, as i tried to connect my old Motu 828 and it was up and running!)

Thanks,
Pedro

Hi,

Only today i was able to test the unit on several different computers... i did it on Macs, from Mac Pro's to iMac's 27" with custom specs. Unfortunately, the Firewire connection didnt worked on any! Whats the best course of action to take now ? By the way, does RME give any candy to someone who's as lucky as me and has the first UFX where the Firewire is broken ? haha! smile

Thanks for everything,
Pedro

Contact your dealer or local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

Extremely appreciated for all your help and time! I've contacted them and everything will be taken care of!

All the best,
Pedro