1 (edited by rockreid 2011-01-20 17:09:49)

Topic: sigh..clicks and pops with UFX

Intel Q9550
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
8Gig RAM
RME UFX
NVIDIA 9500GT video card
Windows 7 64bit
Reaper 64bit

I've tried both the USB and Firewire connections with both using 96 samples and below on an empty project recording just a simple guide guitar track direct with no FX loaded in Reaper. I get clicks and pops and the ASIO control panel in Reaper shows a handful of errors. I'm wondering if I have an IRQ conflict or if my NVDIA card is conflicting somehow.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5373054794_2e288f94b5.jpg

As you can see the TI Firewire controller shares IRQ 18 with USB controllers. I'm guessing the High Def Audio Controler is the RME unit on IRQ 22. I thought my clicks and pops would be over with when I switched to RME. I guess I was wrong and I have something wrong with ym system itself.

Re: sigh..clicks and pops with UFX

More likely an issue with the NVidia graphic driver. Download and run the "DPC Latency Checker" utility and post your results.

ok, I've retty much isolated my NVIDIA driver as the culprit. Is there are recommended dual monitor video card that anyone here is using with success and no pops/crackles?

DPC Latency Monitor reports around 120ms of average latency with pops up to 8000ms or so every 10-20 seconds with the NVIDIA driver enabled. But disabled my DPC report drops to 100ms average and no spikes.

This card is inexpensive, silent (no fan), and unless you're into hardcore gaming with the latest program versions, it will be more than good enough for DAW or video editing purposes. I can run Sequoia projects with a ridiculous number of effects at close to 100% CPU (i7 870) with no apparent problems, e.g. with a FF400.

http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/3609_001_1_160.jpg

You get HDMI, DVI, and VGA, built around a Radeon HD 5450. There are other versions with more RAM, if needed.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think the 9500 has dual DVI, so the HIS can not replace it. Or how to connect two monitors here?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You can connect up to three monitors... HDMI, DVI, and VGA...

[EDIT] The use of three monitors (Eyefinity) is limited to some card versions with 1 gig RAM, which are also fanless. The one I've got will do two monitors, though, in any combination.
And there are a number of other cards with the 5450 chip, of course, i.e. ATI and Sapphire.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Does it make a difference if both displays are connected or not?

UPDATE: actually went through this again today and lo and behold I went through all my Windows 7 prefs and changed Power Management to hi-performance (kind of hidden in Microsoft's wisdom). The crackles seem to have disappeared. We'll see.

A reaper session with a large stereo BFD2 track (mixed inside BFD) loaded and separate 2 audio tracks (so far) produces an average of DPC Monitor of 140-150ms  with everything in the green.

I am running the UFX hooked up via Firewire and 48 samples mode. Reaper reports 3.3ms latency and no pops or crackles. Reaper reports BFD2 using about 12% CPU with a total of 14% CPU being used. So far so good today after my discovery.

Hi Daniwl,

You said before that this 5450 is a good option to use dual monitors. Does the other 5450 from ATI is a good choice???

Radeon video card is better than nVidia???

Thanks

10 (edited by Timur 2011-01-22 02:18:09)

Sorry, Rockreid, I should have remembered that earlier (time to write down a checklist). By turning the power scheme to "High Performance" you also turn off a Windows "Pci Express" power-saving feature. This feature causes dropouts of Firewire audio connections.

You can also change it manually for any power scheme and there are three options: OFF, medium and high. I recommend OFF, but medium can also work depending on your setup.

Another setting that is affected by the power scheme is how quickly/early the CPU clock-rate is increased under load. Speedstep is one possible culprit with low latency audio scenarios.