Topic: More Laptop Issues due to hard page fault (svchost.exe)

My new laptop(HP DV4 -2160US) is working much better thanks to Timmur's recommendation of turning off "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in Device manager. Thanks to Scott (ADK) for his recommendation's too. If I boot up the computer, open my DAW (Samplitude) software and start recording, I will end up getting a LAB "lost asio buffer". I've tested with Latencymon. and found  a hard page fault (svchost.exe). Any way to disable? . I can record 16 trks @44k for 2 hours one night without a problem. The next day, I will have issues with LABs.       
     The Cpu and disk usage (external esata drive) in Samplitude reads 0 - 1%.
     I have a UFX (yay!!!) on order and wonder if the USB connection is the way to go? Will the Hard Page faults also effect the bandwith of the USB bus?
                                                        thanks

Re: More Laptop Issues due to hard page fault (svchost.exe)

bump

any one please!

Is the “lost ASIO buffer” something Samplitude is reporting??? (Maybe like this thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- … itude.html )

Hard page faults are normal. Lots of applications start using their DLL’s via svchost.exe, which is a part of the OS and therefore cannot be disabled.
Read through the documentation carefully (http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_using ):

“The difficulty with pagefaults is that they are common to occur so it's hard to find out if they are the cause of audio dropouts and stutter. In order to find out if pagefaults are the cultprit you need to know that the pagefault occured in the process responsible for producing audio and also while it was producing audio.”

I have page faults off the chart on the LatencyMon trace, but this is NOT the cause of my artifacts (it turned out to be a faulty video driver that was causing high DPC execution times). A more in-depth (but much more complex) method of analyzing your system is to use the Microsoft Windows SDK tools (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140263- … interrupt/).

Have you tried a different host than Samplitude to see if recording problems occur with other pro-audio hosts?

thanks, these links give me more ideas! I'll post my findings when I'm done

Try setting Samplitude's priority higher. There is an option hidden somewhere in ST's preferences. Does that help?

Timmur, what setting are you talking about? Thanks for your help!

Hotkey y, System Options, Performance. I wouldn't call that 'hidden', though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Timur 2011-01-24 13:09:39)

"Hidden" was a bad choice of words then, I meant it's "somewhere in there". I only saw the option once on the setup of another forum member, where I checked what it does in detail (sets audio threads' priority to 31!), but could remember where to find it (I only own the Lite version which does not offer this option). wink