Topic: Babyface Dial 'Grating' against case?

Hi,

I just bought a Silver RME Babyface from the UK and was just wondering if anybody else has experienced a problem with the wheel occasionally grating against the side of the unit, as it's rotated, due to it not sitting perfectly inside the case. I'm a UK resident, but currently living in Toronto (I had family ship it over to me) and wont be back in the UK until March, but when I come back I think I'll be returning the unit to Digital Village for another one - hopefully that doesn't have this manufacturing defect - this is definitely one thing that the Duet has over on the Babyface - even without the problem I have, the wheel still feels pretty flimsy.

Otherwise, it's a great interface though.

If you're having problems understanding my problem, I'd be happy to post a youtube video showing the issue.

Thanks

Matt

2 (edited by Dalibor Loncar 2011-01-02 10:49:29)

Re: Babyface Dial 'Grating' against case?

same here (silver edition). when turning the dial it looks like a bent bicycle wheel.

Yep, exactly...couldn't describe it better myself - just like a bent bicycle wheel. Hate to say it, but I really think RME need to step up their quality control on these units.

Same problem here!
good interface, but hate the scratchy wheel.

The wheel turning off-center a bit is one thing, but if it produces a scratching noise then I suggest to return the unit. It should not do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can any other Babyface owners comment on this issue? Are others having this issue? Or better yet: Are others not having this issue?

Here's a YouTube video that demonstrates the problem, you can definitely hear the grinding and see the off-center wobbling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnF0aNgAww#t=4m00s

This sucks. After a long and grueling search, I had finally narrowed down my audio interface purchase choice to the Babyface. I haven't purchased yet (and it's still sold out here in the US, so I'm not going to be buying immediately either way), but for $750 I'm going to be expecting perfection, and this looks far from it.

I've read that RME has had a lot of trouble with QC on the production of these units... I'm wondering if they're going back to the drawing board yet again?

No issues with my blue BF, neither of the two symptoms.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Matthias, I spoke to Digital Village and I was told that to get a replacement unit I would have to return the item to the UK in the next 7 days, otherwise it will have to be a repair under warranty. It will cost me approx $50/60 to return internationally, as I'm currently living in Toronto and won't be able to return the item in person until March when I'm next back in the UK.

Can I have this grinding problem fixed under warranty when I get back to the UK in March? A replacement would really be ideal though, so I wont have any downtime and I'll be guaranteed to have the item back before I have to return to Canada.

Any suggestions that won't cost me a fortune in shipping?

Thanks

Matt

If you talk to Synthax UK then I don't think fixing it in March will be a problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Gr8h8m 2011-01-11 12:23:58)

Centred dial and no grinding here with a silver BF.
Edit > caveat - yes I can make the grating sound if I push down unnaturally hard on the dial.
Edit 2> Scrub that, yes it does grate occasionally. How annoying.

Recently, I've proudly became an owner of Babyface. Sadly, I have to send my little silver baby back, because of aformentioned problem with jogwheel. As I can see, everyone who reports this problem has limited silver edition. Does anyone who has blue baby, can report such 'grating'?
By the way, my seller hasn't inform me that I'm supposed to get the silver one. In fact I'd rather to get the blue one.
And I will... too many contented RME products owners smile