Topic: Sync over lightpipe

Hi,

I have a presonus digimax connected with a litepipe cable to a multiface/hdspe combo.  I've been using it with sync set to auto and the unit has been slaving to the digimax.  Could I have the multiface act as master?  I've tried setting it to master and setting the presonus to slave, but they don't sync up.  Would I gain any benefit from using the multiface as a master?

Thanks
Sam

Re: Sync over lightpipe

As long as you are in Sync, either way, you should be perfectly okay and notice no difference. It is possible that one of them has a better clock and would be better as master, but whatever difference that is, it's highly unlikely you'd hear the minuscule difference.

So go with what is working, DSP slaved to Digimax.

As to why you can't get them to sync with DSP as master, I can't say. It should work. But since it isn't , stick with Digimax as Master.

Thanks alot.  I figured since RME likes to brag about their clocking, it might be worth it.

You say "A" lightpipe cable- You are aware you need 2 (both in and out) if you want to sync the digimax to the hdsp?

BTW as said before differences are minimal, but there is one simple rule for best results. When recording set the device you are recording with (analog ins) as master. When you do critical listening, set the device you are listening through as master (analog outs).

All recent devices run best at their internal clock. Even if an external clock is much better then the internal one.

If you need an external clock for other reasons (complex multi device setups with video synced too) It is of course best to get a good external clock.

If you want more details, there has been a great article in SOS on this topic.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632