Topic: Digital nearfield monitors?

Is there any advantage to using the digital input on these monitors? Seems you're just passing the signal on to their cheaper AD/DA converter. Why not just use the DA converter in the fireface itself? Am I wrong?

Re: Digital nearfield monitors?

A digital monitor that has DSP inside will generally digitize any analog input to digital - do the DSP - and then convert back to analog (or in some rare cases, drive a digital amp).  So presenting most digital monitors with an analog input results in a whole 'nother round of DA/AD conversion, and you're STILL using the montors' final stage DAC's regardless.

I actually use a combo of analog and digital inputs on my Air 15's - mainly for source switching (PC DAW via Digital, HT via Analog) - but these monitors have a wired remote for source selection, remote volume, etc.  I'd probably lean towards digital with most digital monitors.

As always - do what sounds best - forget the specs and throw theories out the window!  Experiment and use what makes you smile...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thought an analog signal would go straight to the amp and a digital signal would go to a AD converter in the speaker. I'll take your advice.

brewtrub wrote:

Thought an analog signal would go straight to the amp and a digital signal would go to a AD converter in the speaker.

Maybe in some of the cheaper "analog" monitors that only have a digital input for "convenience".  But if the monitor is doing any type of DSP (most are at the very least using DSP for the crossover and time correction), then the analog input must be converted to digital in order to be processed at all.

My advice is generally to always use your ears! Even if something should technically sound better a certain way (Digital over analog for instance)  - always let your ears be the final judge smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8