Topic: Mouse noise with Multiface II / HDSPe card

Hi all,

I've seen similar topics come up on this an other forums, but the threads seem to die out before there is any real resolution.

I've got a new Multiface II and HDSPe card that is putting a "buzz" out through the analog outs every time I move the mouse. 

It's a problem that manifests its self across two different Pentium 4 machines, Windows XP SP1 and SP2, with the drivers that shipped with the units, with the latest drivers. 

I've tried 3 different styles of USB mouse with no solution.  It doesn't matter which ports I use. 

I've used a PS2 mouse on the machine that still has those ports, and that changes the buzz.  Quieter maybe, and fewer high frequencies. 

Does anybody have any insight?  Thanks very much

- Rory

Re: Mouse noise with Multiface II / HDSPe card

You will likely not hear the problem through the phones output with nothing else connected... Which indicates a ground loop issue with the remeining gear.
Are all connections balanced? If not, do your speakers accept balanced?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel,

The connections between the Multiface and mixer are balanced.  I was listening through the headphone out of the mixer.

The mixer and pc are both on the same circuit, though the pc is on a ups.  Maybe that is doing something.  I'll shuffle that around when next time I'm in (these are work machines) and report back.

He means the headphone out of the Multiface (with no connection to the mixer).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Raymond 2011-01-04 18:01:09)

I have seen this with the acceleration mode within your video card. I don't know if your card has such a setting. I'm going back to the old days of Matrox card where we experienced this.

The solution was to bring the acceleration one notch back, otherwise have a look at your video driver. Is there an update available?

Studio Wijnbergen | HDSPe MADI/ADI-648 | Win7_64 Pro | Nuendo 5.5

Thanks everybody with your input so far.

Juggling circuits didn't help, UPS or no didn't matter, drivers are current, and I wasn't able to access any acceleration mode.

I did, however, find that disconnecting the VGA monitor cable from the machine reduced the noise significantly.  I'm going to get my hands on a different monitor in the morning, and if that fails, look into a different video card.  On both these machines I'm testing, we're using the integrated graphics controller for the monitor output. 

I'll report back.  Thanks again.

- Rory

7 (edited by malfunction 2011-02-01 13:13:14)

Hi Rory,

I had the same problem. I had the latest drivers for everything but only after installing win7 again clean without the latest graphics drivers I got rid of the noise.
So I would suggest you uninstall the current graphics drivers and try the drivers that come with windows and see if that helps.

T

Yeah, this noise is definitely a reaction with the video systems. Swapping monitors cleared the noise on one machine, but had no effect on the other. The next time we have some down time I'm going to try a new video card and see where that takes us.

But, anyway, it seems like we have isolated the problem. Thanks everybody for pointing me in the right direction.