1 (edited by digimaton 2011-02-04 12:59:43)

Topic: Fireface 800 Vista/Win 7 x64 freeze condition

I'm using an i7 based Dell Studio XPS 435MT as my main box, there is also an RME RayDAT card installed, all my drivers are up to date.

Have observed a persistent issue using Fireface 800 whereby audio freezes and system locks, usually kicks in at a point somewhere between 45min to 1hour after boot up, but everything functions fine again after a restart, and continues working without issue.

Under Vista, the lock up appeared to happen only when streaming AV from the web, or when using Windows media player.

Initially, I thought this was an issue with my Vista Ultimate 64 install, because my second Win 7 Pro partition, where i run Nuendo 5, had never resulted in this fail, until yesterday.

Recently, I installed VLC under Win 7 Pro and it was while playing audio (not connected to the net), using that software, that the same freeze condition resulted (it also resulted in a blue screen).

When i restart after the freeze everything functions fine, it happens once, at a particular point after start up, and then there are no further issues.

I use Nuendo 4 & 5, Sound Forge, Wavelab, and other pro audio software on the same system, but they have never induced a freeze up.

What might the explanation be? is it a conflict with the native audio settings?

I'm guessing the time delay has to do with some part of the system hitting a particular temperature, which is somehow crashing the unit, but what?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.