1 (edited by edorc 2011-02-11 00:05:23)

Topic: babyface distortion/change to ff400 uc?

hello for the first time,

i bought a bf 2 days ago, used a emu 0404 before which was really nice (+cheap), but for my work with analog filters (jomox neuronium + t resonator) i wanted a more realistic translation into ableton live 8.2 + my little + brave working eeepc 901.

now the point is that the bf distorts (clips) very soon, not reaching the yellow leds on the unit on input, in total mix it displays arround -1,5 db. the gain is at 0, the mixer (2 allen+heath zed 10th) shows no clipping at all so does live. the bf input is connected via xlr on the main outs + the output goes via xlr to stereo jack into one stereo channnel on the zed.
the latency is set to maximum (also in live), at lower volumes it works ok anyway..

its really too sensitive reacting on dynamic material, distortion occours sooner than on the emu, very dangerous to record live sessions.

are there some adjustements to try?
i updated the last firmware + the flash.

if it doesnt get better i have to try a 400 uc, but not sure if my store here in glasgow will take it back + if it would react different (+ i dont need the big one!).

thnx for advices - ed

Re: babyface distortion/change to ff400 uc?

The BF does not clip until it reaches exactly 0 dBFS, and the level meter indication is spot on. You might have activated EQ and overlooked the higher level in the third row (including clip LED). Or:

> the output goes via xlr to stereo jack into one stereo channnel on the zed

If that is true then it is wrong. The mono balanced output can not go into a stereo TRS unbalanced input. The matching cable connection is explained in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

the settings are:

an1/2 hardware inputs: stereo, out to an1/2, gain 0db, fader closed.

an1/2 software playback: stereo, out to an1/2, fader 0db

hardware out: fader 0db, goes to an1/2

control room: fader 0db, main out assigned to ph 3/4, all other to "none"-

NO EQ; NO FX!

i didnt mean ONE stereo input. i ment a stereo channel on the desk with 2 seperate balanced mono jack inputs!

the bf clips/distorts BEFORE it shows the red leds for input on the unit, even no yellow are lit, the meter in the mixer shows about -1,8 -0,8db. even the meter in live shows the same..

it seems the headroom is too small + somehow adjusted too low.
in this case i loose too much of dynamics.

thnx + forgive my german english - ed

Have you checked whether analog leves match? You may be simply overloading the analog input stages with too much of a signal from the mixer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

if you mean checked on the total mix an1/2 INS...yes, there i read the -1,8 - - 0,8db (i mean arround this values, but never in the reds).

How do you know this clipping happens in the input? Did you record and played that recorded signal back while lowering the output level a bit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes, i did this via the unit..
also i reduced the units input (no yellow leds - no clipping) + the mixer out, also checked the solo on the mixer ...no clipping there..

Then you should return the unit for checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME