Topic: Digital speakers

Ok. I connected my new JBL 4300 series JBL in a 5.1 configuration using the spdif out from the fireface 800 (5 speakers + sub) using the aes/ebu protocol. I set the fireface at 24/96 but the two back surround speakers woudn't work (speaker #4 would occasionally go on and off). When I changed to 24/48, all worked perfectly. The speakers are supposedly 24/96 compatable. Any hints? Tech support? Now this was in windows 7 or using Sonar X1 - same result.

Re: Digital speakers

Are you playing an encoded 5.1 signal? Ist this a 96k signal? If not, how (and why) do you attempt to "set the fireface at 24/96"?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No. It's not 5.1, but it should play the other speakers in stereo at least. It does so in 24/48. Irregardless of what is being played, when the FF800 is set to 24/96 the last two speakers crap out and the led on the last speaker flashes and the other speaker plays intermittently. I'm not worried about 5.1 at this time. I'm just playing music from the computer and from Sonar. The speakers are not accepting a 24/96 signal from the fireface so I need to lower the bit depth to 48 to make it work. Not a biggy as I do mostly video and this is what I work in anyway. But Surround sound mixes and playback would be nice.

This shoudn't be that hard. Set fireface to whatever and go. Is this consumer crap still? It doesn't need to be encoded 5.1. It should play out of any speaker you asign it to. WTH!

You have connected the SPDIF out of the FF 800 to speaker x, then from that speaker's out to speaker xx, and so on - right? Now the last two in the chain fail - how can this be a problem of the FF 800?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You did not reply to my question above: "how (and why) do you attempt to "set the fireface at 24/96"?"
Are you actually playing 96k signals, or just trying to change the sample rate on the FF, even though the software still does 44 or so?

Also, unless you are using some kind of encoded signal, there is obviously no way to get a full 5.1 surround mix across SPDIF. Therefore I doubt that what you are hearing at 48 k is really a surround signal in any way.

Hard to help without a really detailed description of your setup.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am connecting the first speaker via the spdif out from the FF, but it is going into the aes/ebu xlr connector on the speaker using an RCA to xlr adapter. I set the fireface to professional as this is supposed to send an aes/ebu signal over the spdif connector. Spdif I understand is only stereo whereas the aes/ebu feed is multichannel. Yes the speakers are daisychained together using the aes/ebu digital connector on the back of the speaker and not the spdif connector.

brewtrub wrote:

Spdif I understand is only stereo whereas the aes/ebu feed is multichannel.

No, AES/EBU is stereo only. In fact, it is practically identical to SPDIF. It seems clear that there is no surround signal anyhwere here. And the 96k issue does not seem to be one of the Fireface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hmm. So the fireface has to be connected to the analog outs to get 5.1?

Guess so...  The JBLs will neither decode AC3 nor accept ADAT.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not that the FF's converters weren't good enough for the purpose, but I'd like to mention one potential alternative: Connect the FF's ADAT output to the RME ADI-4 DD format converter and connect the speakers via AES/EBU.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I guess the easiest way would be analog out. My main desire would be just to assign each track in my DAW to a particular speaker. After that, encode to dolby if desired. Listening to 5.1 I can just go to my home theater. I thought that the digital output would figure out which speaker to go to as there are dip switches on the back of the speaker to assign its position.

Hey I e-mailed JBL support and they called me! Seems the speakers should have worked but I got them off E-bay for $1500 and they were earlier models. Support said they have since fixed the digital portion of the speakers, but alas mine were from before the fix and out of warrantee. Oh well, $3500 speakers for $1500 isn't a bad deal. They look perfect and sound great anyway.