Topic: Alternate ways to power Babyface on MacBook Pros

I'm looking to purchase the babyface soon, however I have some concerns regarding the powering of the unit.

Question 1.

I found some information that states two usb ports are required to power the babyface. Is this true for Macbook Pro usb ports too?
That would render me mouse-less, as the Macbook Pro only has two usb ports.

Question 2.
Another alternate option I thought of would be to use firewire 800 to power the babyface by using this cable.

http://newnex.com/images/CFA-64P-DCJlarge.jpg

This is a firewire power extractor cable, which will supply 9V.  Will this work ?

Thanks. Hope to get a reply soon so I can jump off my couch and click purchase.

Re: Alternate ways to power Babyface on MacBook Pros

The BF can be powered from one USB port on my Dell netbook... You'll just have to test in on the Macbook. Also, there are USB-Y-Cables where one end will pass the connection on while extracting power.

The FW thing should work in principle, but I don't know whether anyone has tried it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I found some information that states two usb ports are required to power the babyface.

Where do you found this information? You can read on the product webpage that one USB port is usually enough.

best regards
Knut

P.S. I use it everyday with my MBP and one USB port.

4 (edited by lawrs 2011-02-10 18:53:42)

Admin Knut wrote:

I found some information that states two usb ports are required to power the babyface.

Where do you found this information? You can read on the product webpage that one USB port is usually enough.

best regards
Knut

P.S. I use it everyday with my MBP and one USB port.

Directly from RME site...
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8601/pawnz.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.

Have you tested using the 48V on both preamps running from one usb port?

Last question.. has there been any issues reported related to powering in bootcamp (win XP) on MBP ?

"... some systems might require ..." is the opposite as "two usb ports are required to power the babyface". It means an overwhelming number of systems don´t need two USB ports to power the Babyface.

Have you tested using the 48V on both preamps running from one usb port?

Yes.

Last question.. has there been any issues reported related to powering in bootcamp (win XP) on MBP ?

No.

best regards
Knut

6 (edited by Timur 2011-02-10 21:12:04)

Macs offer 1, 2 or even 3 "high power" (1100 mA) USB ports. The number and location depends on the specific device. Have a look here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049

I don't have a Mac, but maybe this will help.

I also noticed the wording on power that you did.  As a result, I got the optional power supply.  My experience, so far, is that it is not necessary.  My hardware config is different than yours, however.  I am using a tower with a 750w PSU.  I was concerned about the possibility that I would have a noisier signal getting power through the USB port, but I don't think that is the case.  If you decide to get the optional power supply, be aware that you do not get the electric cord.  The cord is considered optional.

You also look at another recent post - I asked about power through a powered USB hub.  You might find someone's response informative.

My initial install - I needed both USB ports connected for the BF to be recognized.  I am running Windows 7/64, not Mac and maybe something else was going on that caused the problem with the BF not getting recognized.

My BF works on my Macbook Air (current) powered by a single USB port with guitar, cans, and monitors all flying full speed.