Topic: FF 800 number and core audio assignment

Hello to All,

I have two FF 800s and I can only get ITunes (or audio from the internet, You tube) to play back on the FF800 with the lowest serial number. It doesn't matter which FF 800 I  select in Macs Audio Midi page under audio devices; it is the lowest serial number that plays back.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong in my set up.

I suspect that the Mac core audio defaults to the FF800 with the lowest serial number, but is there a way of changing that?

I look forward to your help.
Kind Regards
Jim

Re: FF 800 number and core audio assignment

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

The link you kindly provided did not work.
1) Does Macs Core Audio default to the FF800 with the lowest serial number please.
2) Can this be changed?
Kind Regards
Jim

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1281

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your reply.
I carefully read all the links you sent.
I do not want to create an aggregate device. I want to use one FF800 as master with the second FF800 connected to it via ADAT. This will allow clearer monitoring through Totalmix.
I am able to select either of my Fireface 800s to be the unit which plays audio back in Macs audio midi set up, but despite this, only the FF800 with the lowest serial number will play back Itunes and audio from the net.
Does core audio default to the FF800 with the lowest serial number please?
Kind Regards
jim

Hello to all,
Jeff Peterson from Synthax answered my question.
I have copied his response and pasted it here for all to see.

Hi Jim,

Actually, it's not the serial number, but the 3 digit hexadecimal unit ID# shown in FF Settings and FF Mixer that determines the order. It just happens that the lower serial number unit also has a lower hex code. This behavior is due to the way Core Audio identifies the units. It will always send to the first output pair of the first unit as default.

You can change this default behavior though. Open Audio/MIDI Setup (Applications/Utilities) and view the Audio Devices window. Right click (or CTRL+click) on the FF device you want to be the system audio output. Then select "Use this device for sound output" and optionally, "Play alerts and sound effects".

Regards
Jeff

What a great answer!!!!! Thanks Jeff.
Jim