Topic: RME-Plans regarding Linux

I found differing information about the likeliness of potential Linux-drivers, which confuses me.

Here in this forum RME states that there will be no Linux-drivers for their firewire-/USB-devices (Fireface/Babyface) as they do not want to make the drivers open-source. I fully can understand the reason for this (protecting their intellectual property of a self-designed FW-/USB-technology), although for me as Linux-user this is a show-stopper.
Now on the other side, the ffado.org-homepage states that RME supports the development of FFADO-driver. Quote: "Thanks to assistance from RME we now have Fireface devices and documentation to assist in the development" (http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/1061). Although the driver isn't released so far - the developer is working in his free-time on it.

Just a quick overview about my personal situation: While I, for myself, do not want to buy a firewire-product (I am no Apple-user and don't think that firewire will be too popular in the future with the upcoming USB3.0), I would be greatly interested in purchasing a Fireface UC. I would want to use it in both Linux (listening to music and watching movies) and Windows (for creating music with Propellerhead Reason and some gaming) - all in stereo and a 4.1-Surround-set-up (thus need at least 5 outputs). Microphone-inputs would come in handy for acoustic measuring and vocal recording.

So now I wonder what the chances are, that I can use a Fireface UC or a possible successor of it, for my planned set-up. So far I didn't find a different product which offers these options, although Focusrite is getting closer.

Is there at least a slight chance that some Linux-volunteer developes an unofficial Fireface UC driver?
How in theory are the chances that at least with maybe a possible, upcoming USB3.0-RME-device there will be Linux-support as maybe these do not need highly specific, self-developed transfer-technology anymore?
I'm not a kernel-/driver-development and only have little knowledge about this topic, but wouldn't it be possible to write a closed-source kernel-drivers (as nvidia offers them for graphic-cards), which works as wrapper and provides virtual devices, which then can be addressed by open-source-alsadrivers?

I'm looking forward for any informative answer.

Lomaxx

Re: RME-Plans regarding Linux

I asked for some information on the ffado-homepage and the developer of the planned ffado-driver for the RME FF400/800 was nice enough to answer me by email. In a nutshell: First of all he stated that he is not allowed to redistribute the FW-documentation that he was was supported with, which doesn't surprise me. I didn't really expect anything else, but just wanted to get a vague impression of what the chances are for USB-drivers (for the FFUC). He said that USB and FF differ  quite a lot and because of this and the fact that RME tries to protect their USB-technology, I doubt that we will see such a driver in a very long time - if at all.

I though about how things would be, if RME at least would add a HDSPe-port to their USB-products, then there would be the option of using them through a HDSPe PCIe- or express-card in a Linux-system and through USB on a windows-machine. But in the end that doesn't make that much sense and would make the USB-port rather unnecessary. Or - from the other point of view - still make it impossible to connect it to Linux-based laptops/notebooks/touchpads with only USB-ports.

I guess i have simply have to face it, that RMEs USB-products are not made for my long-term plans by now. Bummer.
Still nice devices. wink

Hi

Why RME doesn't release closed source drivers ? I know that Nvidia is doing this, so why RME can't ?
Plus with harrisson mixbus working very well on linux station now, it could be a total killer duo !!

-fx

I can only assume. It might be because of RME being a rather small company and them not wanting to risk putting manpower into the development and support of official closed-source-Linux-drivers without knowing if it will pay off. But in any way it would be much better to have open-source drivers. RME wouldn't have to put as much time into development and the Linux-community could take care of bugs and modifications, which are sometimes necessary with upgrades to newer kernel-versions, themselves. Closed source drivers often make problems in these areas.
Also I read that the argument of the companies about fearing the loss of their intellectual property is not really founded as the OS-developers do not need knowledge about the internals. Just about how to communicate with the device. For me - being an outsider - it's hard to judge if the fear is justified or not. It probably would be a good start if both sides would communicate in a forum like this to clarify what information is needed and why maybe some bits of information can not be shared.

So far, all I know about RMEs argumentation was a link they pointed to about their self-developed firewire technology, which they want to protect and which i assume is more or less the same for the FirefaceUC (USB).