1 (edited by Run CMD 2011-02-15 13:49:15)

Topic: Solved - FFUC Preamp confusion

Hi,

I first want to say I'm extremely happy with with my FF! I'm coming from another brand and this machine is awesome so far.

I'm a bit confused though :

I have 2 phono decks which I use for vinyl control with DJ Decks. These 2 decks need to be pre-amplified. I can connect Deck 1 Left to input 1 and Deck 1 right to input 2, and set the gain to +51, which will give me the correct amplification.

However, with input 3 & 4 I can only get to +18 ... which is too low ... is there a way to preamp these channels further, or will I have to buy another preamp ?? I tried the LoGian / 4db / -10db setting but that didn't seem to have any effect ...

(When I bought the unit, I was under the impression that channel 1 and 2 were stereo channels, and I tought the unit had 2 preamps  :-(  Doh!!)

Edit : What if I route the 3&4 instr input to the FF phone out and then to another input ... wouldn't my signal be amped enough then ?

Re: Solved - FFUC Preamp confusion

You need to buy an RIAA preamp, preferably for both decks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC! I understand now.

For who's interested :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Although the FF mic inputs will raise the gain to the desired level, for phono a special RIAA equalization curve has to be applied. This is because of the way records were recorded in the past.

As a workaround I think I will use the outputs of an unused mixer as preamp. Since they have phono inputs, I suspect the RIAA curve will be built in...

RCA inputs on a mixer don't necessarily mean "phono" inputs which will apply the RIAA equalisation curve. If they are marked "phono" the requisite equalisation should be there.

All phono preamps are not created equal. A phono preamp applies ~60dB of gain to boost a really weak signal up to line level and (like microphone preamps) is absolutely critical to sound quality. If you care about audio quality get a decent quality phono preamp.

Well, actually I bought a high quality RIAA Preamp to put before my FF UC. The 'funny' thing is now that the signal is too high!! Vinyl Control expects a slightly dimmer signal ( x 0.7 / 0.8). So I have to use the "Pad" function of the 3+4 INST channel (-12dB) and then give extra gaining (+10dB) to get the required level.