Topic: NUENDO > USB FireFace > OUTBOARD MIXER (to add compression) > Nuendo

Hi all,
I'm trying to get some advice.

I currently use Nuendo with the Fireface UC. I'm in the process of recording drums. I've brought some decent mics and have a decent kit.

What I'm interested in doing is trying to faten up the drum sound with some outboard compresion (Audient Black Compressor).

Whats the best way to do this please? I'm thinking of recording straight into the Firewire UC (Mic ins 1 and 2) then amplify the other two channels to go into the UC at Line level 3 & 4.

Then once recorded, I'll play these tracks back out through the outputs of the UC into a MIxer with the compression added as an insert?? or Aux effect.. this wil allow me to fatten up all of the drum tracks at once and play them back into Nuendo.

I'm guessing at this and this really may not work; I'm thinking it'll be important to get a decent mixer so not to add lots of noise to the signals?? Will they need to be amplifiedagain or will this just be messy??

OR Should compression only be used on one track at a time? If this is the case how can I do this using the Pre amps on the Fireface UC? Maybe a mixer isn't needed?

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated...

Thank you
Gavin

Re: NUENDO > USB FireFace > OUTBOARD MIXER (to add compression) > Nuendo

After recording just go out with two tracks to the compressor and go in to two inputs of the Fireface UC. You can do everything - even parallel compression (New York/Motown style) - with the Nuendo mixer and/or the integrated TotalMix mixer. Nuendo provides a delay compensation for external outboard gear (insert plugin) - the recorded tracks will be in sync with the external compressor loop.

You don´t need the mic preamps of the Fireface again after recording the drums the first time. Once recorded and played back you have a line level signal.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for this knut,

So to clarify: I record the drums.... Run them in Nuendo... Set up an insert for the out board compression.. Run a Bus from a line out of the UC through the compressor then back into a line level input on the UC back into Nuendo? Will this create another track.. Or is there an easy way to set up the Comperssion as an insert?

So all I need to buy is the compressor and I will be able to use this with Nuendo and the UC... No mixer required?

Thanks again

So to clarify: I record the drums.... Run them in Nuendo... Set up an insert for the out board compression.. Run a Bus from a line out of the UC through the compressor then back into a line level input on the UC back into Nuendo?

Yes.

Will this create another track.. Or is there an easy way to set up the Comperssion as an insert?

It depends how do you use the compessor. Nuendo provides an insert plugin for external hardware. Parallel compression needs a new - paralellel - track.

So all I need to buy is the compressor and I will be able to use this with Nuendo and the UC... No mixer required?

You already have two full blown mixers. The software mixer in Nuendo and the hardware mixer in TotalMix FX. The problem in your case is not the mixer, but the latency compensation of the external loop, especially if you use parallel compression. The phase cancelation was a problem in analog days, but is gone in an audio sequencer with latency compensation. Please check the Nuendo manual for details about the audio inserts.

best regards
Knut

Thank you again