1 (edited by deveng 2011-02-18 17:56:36)

Topic: Multiface 1 PCI driver install issue

I recently purchased my 3rd Multiface 1 and PCI card.  The PCI card installed perfeclty and the driver load was successful in the old system.  I just built a new computer based on an I7 processor.  I carefully pulled all the PCI cards from my old system (using a wrist grounding strap) and placed the PCI cards on anti-static bags.  When I installed them into the new system, still using the wrist grounding strap, all worked except one.  During the driver install, I direct it to the specific folder and driver but when I do, it fails to finish indicating "the driver could not be installed because the software could not be found".   Its not the PCI slot as it follows the PCI card.    I'm afraid even though I used the wrist strap, something happened to the PCI card during the move.  I inspected the card and the gold edge fingers are clean.  There are no marks or apparent damage to the pcb.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jeff

Re: Multiface 1 PCI driver install issue

Pull the card out, then back in again. Then write down the error message word by word if it still occurs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by deveng 2011-02-18 19:06:15)

I shut down the system, pulled the PCI card.  Restarted, then shut down and reinstalled the PCI card.  When "found new hardware" starts, I do the typical.  When I direct the Hardware install wizard (Windows XP Pro) to the directory with the driver, the wizard returns this error window:

"Cannot install this hardware." 
"The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

I used the identical procedure and driver on the other 2 PCI cards and it works flawlessly.  The other 2 PCI cards are vs.1.4 and 1.7.  The PCI card that is having trouble is a vs.1.8 and installed perfectly just a couple of months ago on the other machine.

Regards,
Jeff

Problem "solved".  I pulled the PCI card and tried it in the old Intel P4 system.  It found the hardware and with some difficulty, I got the driver installed (version 2.64).  Though it kept looking for multibox.bin, driverbox.bin, etc.  These are from the MAC driver I believe and I'm on Intel.  This didn't happen the first time I installed this card in the P4  computer along with the other 2 original PCI cards, it just loaded the 2.64 driver fine.  Since the PCI card did appear to be working, I pulled it from the P4  computer and tried it in the new I7 machine again.    I could not direct it to load the driver and the hardware wizard produced the same error message as described earlier  in this thread.  Then I tried it differently, instead of directing it to the correct driver folder, I set the wizard to "I will select the driver".  The wizard then goes into the list of drivers available, and in the list was the RME and the proper driver.  I selected it and it installed.  No issues with MAC bin files.

I'm confused as to why this particular PCI card won't install the driver the same way as the other two in the I7 machine.  It does appear the original owner of the PCI card was using this in a MAC.  Also, confused why when loading the Intel 2.64 driver the Hardware wizard kept looking for MAC driver files while loading the driver on the P4 machine.  It didn't do this on the new I7 macihine.  So, my next step will be to load the most current RME driver and flash the card.  I had planned to update all the cards and flash them anyway.

I've been a Multiface 1 owner now for years and have done the driver installs many times without a hitch.  So this has been a bit strange. The PCI cards are as follows:

PCI card #1 -  Version 1.4, PCI slot 1, driver 2.64
PCI card #2 -  Version 1.7, PCI slot 2, driver 2.64
PCI card #3 -  Version 1.8, PCI slot 3, driver 2.64  (this is the card that was in the MAC and giving me driver install issues)

At this point it does work and I've got all three PCI cards and Multifaces working.

Regards,
Jeff

There is no 2.64. There is a 2.94(6), which is from 2005. You should have installed version 3.085 plus flashing the latest firmware:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads.ph … iver_hdspe

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by deveng 2011-02-20 16:56:52)

The driver is labeled as 2.64 and yes its an older one!  Now that I have them working I will update to the 3.085 driver and I'll flash them as well

Thanks for the help. 

By the way my Multifaces have been in use for many years now and have been outstanding! 

Regards,
Jeff

Got the dreaded BSD after flashing and updating PCI card #3 ( this was the first of 3 to FUT and update drivers).  I managed to go back to last saved good boot, re-install the v3.085 driver and it solved that.  Flashing and updating the other 2 PCI cards went smoothly with no hiccups.  So, after all this, I've got all 3 cards working great.

regards,
Jeff