Topic: FF UFX via FW + Win7/64 + Ableton Live 8.2.1 experiences?

Since installing the RME UFX, I have to say Ableton Live 8 seems to have become even more flakey than ever.

Just want to know what other's experiences have been with this combination?

Note - I cannot specifically tie this to the UFX, however it was certainly not this bad with the NI Audio Kontrol 1 that I have been using for a while (which I have to say do have consistently excellent drivers - certainly the most relaible I have come across ever), however a few months ago with the FF400, that didnt leave me feeling it was exactly rock solid stable either - Live just seems to die more when using it.

I am running latest drivers, firmware etc. Whether or not totalmixfx beta is running doesnt make any difference, same with digicheck. Have the FW bus limited to just analog + AES as I dont need to feed the ADAT digital IO at the moment, at 96 samples, 44.1Khz.

The thing is Live 8 isnt that stable anyway, but its just got alot worse and crashing for no obvious reason (whereas before there was generally something I could relate it to, for eg complex pro warp mode, some plugin or other etc). Now it seems randomly very flakey - expect 4 crashes per hour as an example of trying to get stuff done today - last few days have been similar.

I havnt yet done any long all day sessions in cubase 6 with the UFX, so I dont yet know how it compares under cubase. With an empty live set and recording it seemed ok, but I guess I wasnt really pushing it. Now trying to work on a heavy project the combination is getting close to unusable.

The host computer isnt being stressed overall (task manager CPU use rarely exceeds 13-15% overall), allthough live is using a couple of cores heavily. Unfortunately live just simply isnt very good at using multiple cores anyway.

Anyone else can share Win7/64 + UFX + Live experiences? Even knowing that some people can run this over firewire (intel chipset with TI firewire) all day with cubase 6 32 and 64 bit versions would help. Is there a feel for differrent reliablity runing the UFX off USB instead of FW? (Note, Im not blaming the UFX yet but am definately suspicious of its drivers, just trying to get a sense of reality for others).

(Yes, ideally I would just dump live, but it does have excellent workflow for what Im doing that cubase cannot hope to match, even acccounting for frequent crashes etc).

Thanks