Topic: External preamp for FF 800

Hi,

I have recently purchased fireface 800 and recorded few songs. In-built mic preamp is OK.
My question is should I go for an external Preamp ? I can spend max $500 on it. But will it give me HUGE diffenece on Vocal quality ? Is it a worth spending this money ? If yes and I am absolutely going to see a HUGE difference then what are the Preamps I should consider in this price range ?

Thanks you for your time and suggestion.

Re: External preamp for FF 800

Better, in my opinion, to spend money on microphones. Microphones will, generally, make a much bigger difference and give you more options than simply a few pre-amps and while many preamps will have different sonic qualities, you would have to judge for yourself (aka try before you buy.)

If you're set on a pre-amp (don't be!), then there's the FMR Audio RNP, Golden Age 73 Pre which will be quite different from the FF ones and are under you $500 budget. But the "under $500" category is very popular with lots of gear vying for your dollars in the ever-more-ridiculous  "pres-will-make-your-music" marketing segment.

I'd also say Mics before Preamps - but a nice preamp can do wonders on a Dynamic mic like a SM7 or 421!  But a nice preamp won't make a harsh MXL Chinese condenser sound like a Telefunken or old-school Neumann mic.  Tasty analog compressors also go a LONG LONG way to getting a sound.

I'd also heavily consider looking at your rooms' sound - this is practically as important as everything else in your chain combined!!!  This is true with regard to the recorded sounds themselves, and the context in which you mix these recorded sounds.  Bad room = Bad Recording and a bad mix of the bad recording.  Double whammy.

Gear is fun - no doubt - and cheap gear will get you instant gratification.  There is a LOT more to good audio than instant gratification.  I'm more of a fan of saving for better/high-end gear, or making the most of what you already have and spend the cash elsewhere (go on vacation or something).  The "Pro-Sumer" segment is largely pointless IMNSHO.  If you are serious - the pro-sumer gear will only be a stepping stone and a loss of money when you go to re-sell it for the "Real McCoy".

It is incredibly hard to resist the "knobs-per-dollar" temptations of cheaper gear.  I know from experience, and bought and sold way too much pro-sumer gear to list.  Now, I'm investing in "pro" gear (or DIY'ing my own), and I've kept all of the gear I've purchased in the last 5 or so years as it meets my expectations - and my recordings are sounding better (along with TONS of room treatments and, of course, practicing mixing over the years helps, too).

Food for thought...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you for sharing your thought. I found this info really helpful. I would probably test couple of pres before I buy it. FMR RNP and ISA One are in my list. I have one Rode NT1, and couple of SM57/58. Do you think these mics are fair mics to produce decent quality or should I look for some other good mic ? As you understand I am not going to spend grand for mics or gear.

hi, i am no authority on mikes but do use both the SM57/58 and decent condensers.  they all have there specific sonic qualities and you really need to try them to see whats suits your set up best.  the sm57 i use for miking up guitar amplifiers and bass cabs etc.  they do not have the frequency response of a decent condenser but things like amplifiers will not output a wide frequency range any way.

sm58 i only use for live, on stage, vocal performances, as they are robust and never let you down.  for recording vocals however, i dont feel there is any substitute for a decent condenser.  they capture the full dynamics and the 'breathy' sound of the vocal that the sm58 wont do.

i would definately look at your mike set up first as the ff800 pre amps are very very good.  i use a stereo pair of se electronics se1s for recording acoustic instruments and a se electronics se2200a for the vocal.  i tried loads and found those the best without spending silly money.  the vocal mike around £190.00 and the stereo pair around £200.00. 

try others yourself though before commiting, they all have different sonic qualities and there are plenty to choose from.