Topic: Crappy RME service (read no service at all!!)

I bought a RME Fireface 400 last december. After 3 weeks and barely using it, it was broken. When I turn the knob on the front panel all the faders go up and down randomly and it switches automatically (without pushing the button) between volume and input select.

I brought the device back to the store and they called RME. They told the store that they never replace a unit (even if it's only 3 weeks old) and that we should send it to germany for repair. I'm not happy with that!! When I buy a unit for that amount of money I don't want a fixed one after only 3 weeks of using it! Today the store got the unit back from Germany after 5 weeks (longer than I had the F#@kin' thing) and there was a note..... NO ERROR DETECTABLE.
Of course the error was detectable when we turned the unit on......

I really regret buying the fireface. I know that you can have some bad luck buying an audio interface but at least I expected some service from RME....

Re: Crappy RME service (read no service at all!!)

They (whoever that was) did NOT call RME. If at all they called your local distributor. Now even then it is a shame so please tell me who we are talking about.

Apart from that most dealers that I know would have exchanged the unit for you already, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I called the guy from the store and he told me that their local distributor is "Audio AG".
The person they talked to was Andreas Hacker. He told the store that RME never exchange a product....

Next question: did you ever try this unit on a different computer than yours, to verify the unit (its encoder) is indeed broken? As I mentioned in the other thread there is a chance that this is a software problem that might happen just on your machine (which would explain why they did not see any error when they examined the unit).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, I did not. It worked perfect the first 3 weeks. I ran it on my macbook pro which is just 2 months old.
I can't rely on the fireface if it doesn't work sometimes or on some computers.

Sorry, but this thread is about the repair guys being stupid (not seeing an obvious error) or your machine being 'different'. It is in your own interest to check this out. Something might have changed (new software, updates...) that triggered this behaviour. And think about this: if you can proove on a different machine that the error is easily reproducible (so the unit itself is broken) you would have the ammunition to demand a new unit presto...but hey, that's just what I would do...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's difficult for me to do anything right now because the store has my unit right now.
It's closed 'till tuesday. I use ableton live (which was installed before I bought the fireface) and I downloaded the most recent drivers from the RME website. I didn't change any software or updates. The guy from the store saw the error too and he downloaded the recent drivers again and installed them. The same problems occurred.....

So if the unit is in the shop they will have a computer to try it on, right?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I'll ask if they'll try the unit on their computer.

The problem even occurs when there's no computer connected! It is on standalone right now and it's switching between input select and volume without touching anything! 3 weeks old!! This is terrible!!

This is a video of what happens......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6O8Ez6hr_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWFNseuuE8

Try pulling the encoder outward softly.

That said, we are sorry indeed, but sometimes gear straight from the factory can be defective... These things happen. I just got a brand new Mac Pro which produced a very annoying mechanical hum caused by one of the fans inside the machine. Had to return it, new one is on the way.

So if the above trick won't help, please contact me by mail directly and let me know where you purchased the device. We'll work something out.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME