Re: Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip

Hi,
I am following the forum for quite a while know and finally decided to buy a MacBook Pro 15 for being mobile with my music. I knew about the problems with FW chipset changes on Macs etc. But maybe not every detail.
I got the MBP delivered a few days ago, checked the revision, which is 07000000, and tried to connect my FF400 (bought spring 2009) to the machine. I am using a simple hama 9/6 fw cable, which is working fine when connecting the MBP with iMac 24, late 2007, for data transfer. The FF400 also works fine with the iMac, which has the TI chipset. Unfortunately I can not get the FF400 to work with the MBP at all. The host LED is red all the time. Several people posted that they successfully connected latest MBPs with FF400. What is wrong with my setup. I tried the connection with and without PSU.
Any help is welcome. If you need more details please ask.
Thanks
sbur

sbur wrote:

Hi,
I am following the forum for quite a while know and finally decided to buy a MacBook Pro 15 for being mobile with my music. I knew about the problems with FW chipset changes on Macs etc. But maybe not every detail.
I got the MBP delivered a few days ago, checked the revision, which is 07000000, and tried to connect my FF400 (bought spring 2009) to the machine. I am using a simple hama 9/6 fw cable, which is working fine when connecting the MBP with iMac 24, late 2007, for data transfer. The FF400 also works fine with the iMac, which has the TI chipset. Unfortunately I can not get the FF400 to work with the MBP at all. The host LED is red all the time. Several people posted that they successfully connected latest MBPs with FF400. What is wrong with my setup. I tried the connection with and without PSU.
Any help is welcome. If you need more details please ask.
Thanks
sbur

You could try to use another device as a firewire hub (I used a Presonus FP-10 with its two Firewire Slots, for instance).
There are a lot of external firewire harddrives with 2 firewire slots (Iomega UltraMax Desktop,Western Digital My Book Studio etc... The WD harddrive even has firewire 800)

forester-rec wrote:

You could try to use another device as a firewire hub (I used a Presonus FP-10 with its two Firewire Slots, for instance).
There are a lot of external firewire harddrives with 2 firewire slots (Iomega UltraMax Desktop,Western Digital My Book Studio etc... The WD harddrive even has firewire 800)

Thanks forester-rec, I read about several options (Lindy repeater cable, external HD, etc.) but latest MBPs should work without any additional hardware. As reported here in this thread and many others. But thanks sbur

After re-installing the driver version 2.64a for FF400 everything seems to work as normal on a MBP late 2009 bus powered. Obviously the first installation did not work properly. My fault I guess.

sbur wrote:

- FW643 (FW800, PCI ID 5901) and FW533 (FW400, PCI ID 5903) Revision 7: no problems

Is there some people using the late 2009 MacBook Pro unibody (Revision 7) machine who can confirm they use the FF400 without any problems and without the need for Hard drive acting as a hub ? Well I guess that if there is, these guys don't hanging around this forum ed:

My machine is an MBP late 2008 unibody Rev 6 ...

THanks.

It has already been confirmed more than once and I can confirm it again! fryingpan wink

Thank Timur,
I just ordered an MOTU UltraLite MK3 FireWire Audio Interface. I will compare them. It's breaking my heart to think about selling my FF400 but I just can't live with this issue any more. I want to change my laptop for an i5 cpu or even more an i7 but that could be in several months and I just can't wait that long. I'm going to tour really soon.

Switch or not to switch ... that the sad question ..

You can use the MOTU as a bridge for the FF400, I tried that once. And it even works when the MOTU is switched off. :-P

But using the Lindy repeater cable always was a solid solution as well, the only drawback being that the cable is 5m long and put some gramms on the scale. Anyway, since the revision 7 chipsets in new Macbooks work (and perform very well) it isn't a problem anymore.

The MOTUs are great value for the money and you are gonna love the screen and controls. But it only offers two shared mic/guitar inputs, which disqualified it for me back when I had to decide on an interface. And the mic pres on the FF400 were surely better (no idea how the MK3 compete) plus you get 2 x Midi on the FF.

I have a late 2008 mpb with rev6 lucent chip. Like everyone else I was shocked to find out that the FF400 simply does not work. I am mainly pissed at Apple since I specifically bought a PRO version laptop with the expectation that they had nothing but the best chipset for firewire (especially since this has been a major problem for me in the past with pc laptops).

So now I am looking for the most compact and cheapest solution possible. I refuse to bring a large HD or HUB with me just so I can use my expensive audio interface. The lindy firewire extender cable is too long and pricey. I also still need to then plug that cable into a 400 to 800 adapter so it actually plugs into my laptop.

I was wondering if this Lindy adapter would work: http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Lindy-Elec … ni-version

i.e. is it just a passive adapter? Or would it have an IC inside?

If this won't work, what is the simplest solution to connect my FF400 to a MBP 2008 fw800 port?

I have the problem of the FireWire chipset from Agere not working well without connecting the FireFace400 to an external FireWire HD...
I ordered the Lyndi FireWire Repeater Cable... Hope this works for me...
Question : will an updated driver from RME fix the problem ? or the repeater cable is the only solution ?
Thanks

will an updated driver from RME fix the problem ? or the repeater cable is the only solution ?

This is a hardware FireWire protocol problem of the Rev6 chipset and can?t be fixed by software.

best regards
Knut

I've been getting a regular BSOD with the FF800 on a MacBook Pro Circa January 2010 with LSI IEEE 1394 with ID:

PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_5901&SUBSYS_590011C1&REV_07
PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_5901&SUBSYS_590011C1
PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_5901&CC_0C0010
PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_5901&CC_0C00

The computer is running up to date windows 7 with bootcamp 3.1 (was 3.0 and then updated with problem still persisting). I sent the mini dump to RME but what I'm reading here is that my setup should not have any issues. I'm going to try a few things like disabling onboard sound card. I'm wondering if anyone is also getting BSOD with this setup?

Regards

-rick

313 (edited by mustgroove 2010-06-29 09:21:41)

I recently upgraded to a 15" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro (Core i7)... my FF400 seems to be working flawlessly under OS X (10.6.4) with driver 2.72 (as far as I can tell so far)... if I have any issues I'll report them for sure but at the moment it seems the Mid 2010 Macbook Pros work with the FF400 without issue.

Even at 32 samples?

This problem CAN be solved; my advice would be to go to your Pro-Audio dealer nearby and try out a couple of possible solutions. My dealer:
http://www.futurestore.nl/

Here's what I've tried, with help of the future store:
1) Firewire hub > no good
2) G-tech hard drive as a firewire repeater (using standard 400 cable and a unibrain 400(6p)-800(9p) adapter for the macbook pro) > FIXED!
3) FW800 (9p) cable, instead of the standard 400 > FIXED!

What I don't understand, is that NOBODY mentions the use of a FW800 cable as a possible solution. Strange, because it works perfectly for me.
http://www.unibrain.com/Products/p1394/cables_b.htm

guuseikens wrote:

What I don't understand, is that NOBODY mentions the use of a FW800 cable as a possible solution. Strange, because it works perfectly for me.

My post, number 28, already on the first page of this thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

317 (edited by S.G. 2010-09-29 20:41:21)

Hi Everybody!! I want to get a FF800!! Amazing Unit by the way! But mi hesitation is that I have an Alu-Imac 2.4 20? with a Lucent chip and Revision 5  ? !HeadScratch

Here is what the console says:FRWR@0  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 33>
    | |   |     | {
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIResourced" = Yes
    | |   |     |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController")
    | |   |     |   "fwtune" = <00000008e3e3000000000808e3e30c4100004008200340bf0000700810000000>
    | |   |     |   "subsystem-id" = <00590000>
    | |   |     |   "IOName" = "pci11c1,5901"
    | |   |     |   "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=0xffffffff90400000,"length"=0x1000}))
    | |   |     |   "class-code" = <10000c00>
    | |   |     |   "revision-id" = <05000000>

It will work with Rev 5  ? ?

Thanks!

and by the way.... Lucent/Agere----->DeadHorse

318 (edited by Hyram 2010-09-30 19:34:52)

Apple aren't making it easy for pro-audio people, that's for sure.

After a friend's MacBook Pro 15in 'Santa Rosa' -- the last machine to use a TI 1394 chip -- had its onboard NVIDIA GPU fail and Apple refused to repair it (despite Apple's own admission and willingness to fix), he was co-erced by the Apple Store's resident [s]Idiot[/s]Genius to buy a new machine, so he came home with a brand new MacBook Pro 15in with a 2.66 GHz Core i7 (aka MacBookPro6,2, model A1286-2353, or MC373LL/A) and enlisted my help transferring everything over.

Bear in mind that he uses Windows XP Pro (w. SP3), Cubase SX 3 and Ableton Live 8 exclusively -- he bought the MacBook Pro solely to run Windows because of the sturdy aluminum casing, and it was a quarter the price of a Toughbook. His Fireface 400 had worked flawlessly on the older 'Santa Rosa', especially once he'd followed Timur's Tweak Guide.

Unfortunately, this new MacBook does not have an ExpressCard slot, and also uses an Agere revision 8 chip feeding a single FW800 9-pin connector, which exhibits exactly the same faults as the revision 6 -- the Fireface 400 is totally incapable of maintaining sync, either under Windows XP or via Mac OS X 10.6.4 (tested with Ableton Live 8). Within five seconds of the interface being activated (either by ASIO or by CoreAudio) the master outputs develop a 2.6 Hz ticking which rapidly evolves to a chirping noise.

The Fireface 400 is running the latest firmware, and the latest drivers for each OS were downloaded and installed.

Things I have tried, with no success:
- Applying all manner of Microsoft's 1394-oriented hotfixes to XP SP3
- Installing XP SP2 and applying appropriate hotfixes.
- Install and update Ableton Live 8.1.4 as only audio app onto fresh XP SP3 install -- sync noise persists.
- Install Propellerhads Reason 4.01 as only audio app onto fresh XP SP3 install -- sync noise persists.
- Downloading a pirate version of Cubase 5.1.2 and installing it onto yet another fresh install of XP SP3, in the hope that its newer ASIO structure may help -- sync noise persists.
- Installed Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), ensured Boot Camp was up to date (version 3.1 build 2318) and latest FF400 driver for Win7 installed, then installed Ableton Live 8.1.4 as only audio app, using ASIO Fireface for output -- sync noise persists.
- Replace Fireface 400 with M-Audio Fire interface -- sync noise happens then the interface dies with no audio.
- Insert Oxford-based Sarotec self-powered external hard drive as a hub between MacBook Pro and the Fireface, using 9-pin to 9-pin cable between Mac and drive, and 6-pin to 6-pin cable between drive and Fireface -- sync noise persists.
- Insert Oxford-based Sarotec self-powered external hard drive as a hub between MacBook Pro and the Fireface, using 9-pin to 6-pin cable between Mac and drive, and 9-pin to 6-pin cable between drive and Fireface -- sync noise persists.

With all Windows-based test above, I opened the Fireface control panel and under the Fireface(1) tab, SyncCheck reported "No lock" for all three entries. Changing clock mode had no effect. Enabling DDS and changing the frequency will adjust the frequency of the ticking/chirping proportionally. Changing buffer size would reset the Fireface but the ticking would begin again almost immediately.

Sorry, chaps, but as far as this reasonably exhausting testing shows, the MacBook Pro's current implementation of 1394 is absolutely useless for pro audio, no matter which OS you're using. If you want to use a laptop and OSX (or as my friend does, Windows via Boot Camp), you have one choice -- use a MacBook Pro with an ExpressCard slot and put a TI-based 1394a/b ExpressCard controller in it.

Thankfully, our lemon-laws allow me to wield a crowbar at the Apple [s]Idiot[/s]Genius into accepting the new MacBook Pro back for a full refund, and my friend is going to buy an Asus we've located that still uses TI for onboard 1394.

(Ever wondered where the refurbished Macs on the Apple Store website come from? Now you know smile)

Hyram wrote:

With all Windows-based test above, I opened the Fireface control panel and under the Fireface(1) tab, SyncCheck reported "No lock" for all three entries.

Unless you have some external gear connected digitally (ADAT/SPDIF/Word Clock), this is perfectly normal...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I need some help please !

RME Support wrote:
Hyram wrote:

SyncCheck reported "No lock" for all three entries.

Unless you have some external gear connected digitally (ADAT/SPDIF/Word Clock), this is perfectly normal

I assumed that might be the case, but felt worth reporting anyway. It does not help with the sync-loss problem with the Agere chips though.

Just wanted to say hello from another FF400 user who realized his MacBook Pro FireWire Lucent rev. 6 chipset was not compatible with the RME device. Of course it's my fault, I should have checked this forum thoroughly before buying. I understand it's also Apple's fault, but they (or their local support) don't give a damn. Working around with a 10km repeater cable sounds rather amusing to me. I'll try with a TI chipset-based express card, not sure if that wil work, but my friends who have more experience with sound interfaces (e.g. they went through all incompatibility nightmares before) suggest I should return the FF400 and find something else that just works with my laptop. That's sad as the RME really sounds great.

In my case as soon as I select the FF400 as audio device and try to play any sound, sync is lost, the Host LED is blinking like crazy and TotalMix is restarting all the time. I'm using a Belkin FW800 to FW400 cable.

One thing I'd like to say about RME is that there is absolutely no warning of this incompatibility on the website and in FF400 manual (unless you know exactly what to look for in the forums or other product specs than FF400). On the UFX page I found this snippet:

FireWire. The completely redesigned FireWire core provides the UFX with the same exceptional compatibility and performance as RME's USB solution. For the first time the UFX does not have any FireWire chip inside at all - it's completely programmed into the FPGA, under direct control of the RME masterminds, and updated by a simple firmware update - if ever necessary. This new technology is even compatible to Agere's infamous rev. 6 chip - that says it all.

I think adding this short info to FF400 compatibility section on the website would be just fair to all those people who trust the RME brand, claiming "highest compatibility", etc.

RME _was_ able to work around this chip problem after all!!! It would save some people (like me) a lot of frustration.

Cheers,
Pawel

flogiston wrote:

RME _was_ able to work around this chip problem after all!!! It would save some people (like me) a lot of frustration.

But only with a completely new FW implementation, not based on the more conventional FW technology of FF 400 and 800.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

flogiston wrote:

I'll try with a TI chipset-based express card, not sure if that wil work

Revision 7 LSI/Agere ExpressCards will work, too.

Hey guys im looking at buying a mint older mac machine.
Ive got a FF800.
Could anyone tell me what Firewire chipset it has, as the guy who is selling it has a fresh install and the setup welcome page and does`nt want to mess with it.
its a :

Macbook pro MB133B/A  2.4GHz, 200GB, 3GB Ram

Thanks in advance
jay

Hi,
I'd like to buy a FF400 but my macbook (just "macbook", no MBP) is a santa rosa (late 2007?) with a lucent agere chipset, rev.6.
So will it work if I plug it in the FW400 port of my laptop through my external HD "SilverTouch Alu 250 Go 8Mo 7200t/mn FireWire 400"?

I could buy a FF UC but the macbook only have 2 USB ports already busy with a command 8, an Ilok, an A/B switch etc... so I wish the FF400 can work.

So what's your opinion???

Thanks & merry christmas!

327 (edited by MB Pro i5 2011-01-16 14:30:59)

Hello
I've recently bought a Mac Book Pro 15 2,4, late 2010. I bought it for audio use and as an alternative to Windows. And it has worked flawlessly.
I have set up a network with both Windows and Mac OS.
Now I've also purchased a Fireface 800. It will do AD and DA conversion using highest possible resolution not available with USB. I cannot have any glitches or dropouts.
Now to my question. Will it work with a simple 9 pin FW 800 cable or do I need to bother with Lindy repeater or external LaCie drive.
I would hate to return it and get an Apogee Duet.

Regards Johan

Late 2010 MBPs should be fine without any workarounds.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank U. I was a bit worried after reading Hyram´s post about FF 400.  Thats for sure. We shall see if the latest reported revision number 8 works with FF 800.

330 (edited by jchan 2011-01-17 15:01:57)

Hi all,

I'm newly registered but have been following some threads.

Just wanted to say that my macbook pro 15" early 2010 works superb with my FF800 in logic 9 with 32 samples buffer.
For win7 pro 48 samples buffer works very well too with some minor pop/clicks in a heavy FL studio 9 project (NewStuff..the demo song).
But its worth mentioning that its a fresh win7 install with no tweaks made what so ever, not even turned of wi-fi / bluetooth or any other tweaks.

Hope this helps someone smile

Im very happy with my FF800 now
Never going back to crap DELL 1555 studio smile

It's by the way a LSI / Agere revision 8 firewire chip in this one.
i7 2.66
4gb ram
500gb 7200rpm
1680x1050 (glossy, very very good panel..)

regards,

Johan
sweden

331 (edited by MB Pro i5 2011-01-18 02:03:22)

Very good to hear your experience Johan.
MB Pros of late perhaps was not such a bad purchase after all.
From what I read in the mags the new Macs are not but MB Pro is getting old and will soon be replaced. That is the right time to buy.
It may not be Agere chip-related but do you run Digicheck under win 7?
Will not run under Snowleopard. That is if I not install Win 7 and run it under bootcamp. My CPU is a lot slower than the i7 so i'm afraid I can't utilize Digicheck. But I will try using minimal system.

Johan

Yeah, I got a really good price on this machine (second-hand) 15.000 SEK and i had allready had the chance to try my FF800 with a MBP 15" i5 2.4 at work which also worked just fine running ProTools 9 with it's smallest (64 samples) buffersetting, presonus digital mixer 16.4.2 worked at this buffersize too (fw400->fw800). I wouldnt say that the i7 is much fast than the i5. I ran digicheck without problems with my old DELL (2.4 core2duo) the problem with the DELL was it had a Ricoh firewire chip which forced me to run FL STUDIO and Samplitude at minimum 256 samples buffer to avoid major lags and dropouts. 256 buffer on that machine wasnt possible to record safely though with either but it still worked pretty fine as long as editing / composing and no virtual instruments and midikeyboards came in to play.. smile

Woops, late for work..

Laters!

/Johan

2010 Macbooks use a revision 8 LSI/Agere Firewire chipset. The faulty one was revision 6.

By the way ...Digicheck runs without any problems on snowleopard 10.6.6 or what am i missing? smile

Currently monitoring Time Passages by Al Stewart through totalyzer straight off of spotify smile

/Johan

Hi,

I have a mid 2009 macBook Pro (Lucent/Agere FW chip rev6) and didn't fix the FiWi issue, neither with any FW cord (800/800 or 400/800) nor with a WD external hard drive used as a hub. I didn't fix it with an Express Card FW adapter with TI chip.

Finally, as I ought to have a properly working setup, I could buy a new MacBook Pro. But I want to be insured that those new MacBook Pros will work with a FireFace 800.

Any news will be welcomed.

JM

Hey everybody...i apologize for my poor english..

So, i've got a Macbookpro that i bought in November of 2010 and a Fireface400 of the same date, and this doesn't work properly. So what do i need! i´m a little stressed, cos i sometimes work recording musicians, and this is quite stressing!...:)

I don't know if what i need is a Lyndi cable, a hub repeater, 800 cable or what, so...some help?

Thanks for your comprehension and best regards.

If it can help : http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10385, especially message #4

JM

What about the brand new Macbook pro's? I have a Fireface 800 and i'm currently using it with a 2007 Macbook (not Macbook pro). Everything works fine and i dont want to run into problems when i buy a new Mac.

Current Macbooks are not affected.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Current Macbooks are not affected.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am sorry to tell you they are....

I had to buy a new Macbook Pro 15' (unibody 2011) and there is a Lucend ID5901 built in, so I am one of these unlucky persons.....

My Firewire400 is not working correctly (you know it all: red light flashing, audio hickups ect.)
but: also the following workarround do not work:
1. I have three different La Cie drives, none of them makes the trick.
2. I tried the two G-drives I also have here - still the same problem.
3. I tried hooking up a G-drive (firewire800) in a chain with a LaCie (Firewire400) and it is even worse.

The only solution so far is to hook up my La Cie Firewire400-drive to the computer and then the Fireface400 after that. But this is not what I could do, because my huge sample-libary is on a G-drive (Firewire800) and I have to get this in the chain as well.

Three possible ideas:
1. The Firewire800-hub from Lindy
2. The Firewire800-repeater-cable before the first drive
3. The Firewire400-repeater-cable after the Firewire800-disc

Could you give me an advice which one would give me the best result?
In the moment I would go for the hub, because I am sometimes using quite a lot of discs in a chain anyway...

Thanks for your help
pyro

You're sure it's not the G-drive causing trouble? Did you try the FF400 connected directly to the MBP?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

pyrolator wrote:

I am sorry to tell you they are....

I had to buy a new Macbook Pro 15' (unibody 2011) and there is a Lucend ID5901 built in, so I am one of these unlucky persons.....

Could you check the "revision" number please (Daniel posted a howto on that)? 2008 MBP used 6 (faulty), 2009 MBP used 7 (works), 2010 MBP used 8 (works). Now the question is, what chipset revision does the 2011 use?

I just read this in a presonus forum. Hope it's correct.

In order to find your Mac firewire chip details:-
On boot-up press & hold cmd+S The firewire chip make & model will be displayed. Type exit then return to complete normal boot-up.
To find revision number, go to Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type: ioreg -lxw0 (space between g and the hyphen lower case 'L' and zero) then either scroll down to find FRWR or 'command F' and type FRWR for the firewire chip information section then scroll down to find "revision-id" = XXXXXX

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Jeff wrote:

You're sure it's not the G-drive causing trouble? Did you try the FF400 connected directly to the MBP?

Jeff, thank you , I think you are right.

I even bought a repeater, and as soon as I involve the g-drive in the setting strange thing happen with the Fireface400.

I found a workarround - If I connect the g-drive as the last in the chain behind the fireface with firewire 400 everything works, but as soon as I connect the g-drive with firewire800 earlier in the chain, I get problems....

best wishes
pyro

What if you put the repeater between G-Drive and FF400?

just checked the latest 13" mbp at the apple store. it's revision 8.

Timur wrote:

What if you put the repeater between G-Drive and FF400?

Hi Timur,

I found the working solution for all drives and the fireface:

A Firewire Hub800 on the first channel with 2 La Cie-drives and the fireface400 at the last point in the chain.
On the other hub-channel the two G-Drives and one Western-Digital chained.

Works without any problem the last days.

thanks for your help anyway....

best wishes
pyro

I have a new macbook pro 15 2011 model and the fireface is working great. I always put an hardrive in between so that the fireface is not linked directly into the mac.
I have anyway other issues with the 2011 model not due to RME or but to Apple. That is another story.

PS my hardrive is a Gdrive mini.

350 (edited by drainaudio 2011-07-28 02:53:18)

Sorry for asking a question that I could answer myself with a little more research & time but I need to confirm an order of RME products for a touring rig build & time is not on my side..
Order will be 1 x Fireface 800 (to be used with a (2007) 2.2GHz MacBook (MB063LL/B) - running NI Guitar Rig 4 in standalone mode) ----- appears from what I've read these were not affected ----- & 1 x UFX (to be used with a (2011) 2.2GHz MacBook Pro (MC723LL/A) - running NI Guitar Rig 4 in standalone mode & Logic Pro) ----- unsure about this rev.
Both set-ups will only ever be used to run the programs mentioned.
Thanks, Geoff.