Topic: Aurora 16 as MASTER and Fireface 800 Slave Questions

Hi

A gentleman at synthax told me that these two units can work together. I recently bought an Aurora 16 which I am routing into a Shadow Hills summing mixer. Everything is working properly tracks 1 thru 16.

I've hooked up my FireFace 800 to the aurora via ADAT 1 lightpipe. In the settings I set up the Fireface to be the Slave. In clock mode I checked autosync, and in preferred sync ref I clicked ADAT 1 and the input status shows Sync.

On my track output in Logic i chose output 17-18 which should be routed to the Fireface outputs 1 and 2. I get nothing. Not sure if I set-up the matrix properly. Does anyone have advice on what might be wrong here.

I'm guessing it's in the matrix since I really don't know what's going on in that web. Please help!!!!

Re: Aurora 16 as MASTER and Fireface 800 Slave Questions

When you click on the outputs 1/2 in TotalMix (gets brighter), check the fader position of playback channels 17/18. If they are all way down no signal goes to this specific outputs.
If it does not help you should post a screenshot of the matrix here.

best regards
Knut

O.K

I keep hearing mixed stories about linking up an Aurora 16 and a fireface800 to get 24 in/outs. People are doing it with success but I just can't get mine going.

I have an Aurora 16 hooked up to my computer with AES16 card and all 16 channels are fine and working. In Logic 9 I have it selected as my Core audio player.

I then hook up the fireface800 to the computer with the firewire and then to the Aurora 16 thru light pipe ADAT L-slot in/out. I choose the Lynx to be master and the FF800 to be Slave.

The fireface800 front light blinks a few times and then shows that it is in sync with the lynx.

In Logic I select outputs 1 thru16 on 8 busses, everything is audible. Then I select 17-18 as outputs from the fireface800 outputs 1-2 on actual unit and get nothing even though 17-18 are routed thru output 1-2 in total mix.

What gives? What am I doing wrong? This should totally work unless I'm missing something in the cards or fire wire. How do I get the Lynx to pass audio thru the Adat wires to the fireface and vice versa if needed?

Come on.......

Is this not possible?

Can anyone help me hook these two units up? It seems I read about others doing it, but when I ask how I can't get a direct reply. 

How does one make this work?

Flat out.......How to hook up a FF800 to a Lynx Aurora 16 to get 24 i/o?  Please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, we spoke on the phone about this a while back. I already explained the problems, but I'll try again.

You have some wrong ideas here. You can connect the Aurora to the FF via dual ADATs, and use the FF as your interface. In other words, you connect the Aurora to the FF800, not the FF800 to the Aurora. Select FF800 as your audio device in Logic, etc. In this scenario the AES16 card is unused.

I don't believe you can use more channels than the 16 of your Aurora through the AES16 card, so your current plan does not work (check with Lynx to be sure). You may be able to add an ADAT extension card to the Lynx PCIe card, in which case you can set up the FF800 matrix and route to the ADAT outs, connected to the ADAT expansion of the PCIe card, not the Aurora. It's unclear from their website whether the ADAT expansion actually adds new channels to the AES16 card, or just takes over the AES channels. Again, ask Lynx.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.