Topic: Does windows sounds work i Fireface?

Hello. I have an HDPS9652 and the standard sounds from windows does not work and it drives me mad. Is it possible to use a fireface to play back windows-sounds? I mean if I occasionally want to play a game or hear the "pling" from a new email?

Re: Does windows sounds work i Fireface?

Yes, it is.
And it should be possible with your HDSP 9652 as well!!
Have you tried to configure your Windows audio device properly?

viper wrote:

Yes, it is.
And it should be possible with your HDSP 9652 as well!!
Have you tried to configure your Windows audio device properly?

I experienced pop and crackles with the standard windows sounds in win XP and got information that it was no good idea to use my HDSP9652 to play back system sound cause the were in 22khz. So I wonder if that is better with hammerfall.

Well, you will often hear and read the advise to not use a professional audio interface for playback of system sounds, because they might cause problems if using the device in a professional setup. Imagine for example your "pling" beeing blasted out of a PA, because you forgot to mute system sounds. And there are several other possible problems regarding system sounds.
Nevertheless it is possible to use most of these devices for system sounds and it works very well, at least for me.

So if you get pops and crackles using system sounds thats quite a different question. I'm a bit out of XP, but as far as I remember you can set the sampling rate in the sound settings of windows. Windows will then resample everything to the specified sampling rate.

Good luck...

I have been googling for a while now and can not find anything about what samplerate is used for system sounds in Windows7 , does anybody know? I could upgrade.

In W7 that problem no longer exists. The sample rate does not change, the sounds are resampled by the WDM engine of the OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In W7 that problem no longer exists. The sample rate does not change, the sounds are resampled by the WDM engine of the OS.

Great, then I will upgrade to windows7 and keep my HDSP9652!