Topic: FF400 new install on Win7 64bit, not working, please help

I am having difficulties installing the FireFace 400 correctly on my Windows 7 64bit system.

This is my first time installing the FF400.  The first time I went into the Device Manager, there was a unknown device with an yellow exclamation.  I attempted to update the driver, and manually pointed to the CD_drive\Wk2 folder.  At that point, windows asked if I wanted to install the driver signed 'Uwe Kirst'.  I accepted, then for 5-10 minutes it attempted to install the driver, but timed out.  "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.  Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  RME Fireface 400.  This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

Since then I have restarted the computer and now there is no longer a yellow exclamation device in the Device Manager, and there is a RME Fireface 400 listed under "Sound, video and game controllers", device type: sound, video and game controllers.  Manufacturer:  RME, Location: on VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller.  Device status: No drivers are installed for this device.    And when I attempted to uninstall it, it never uninstalls.  There was no cancel button to exit, and after 15 minutes of it hanging there, I pushed the reset button.

Once it boots to the desktop, the RME icon shows up in the system tray, but when I try to go to settings, nothing happens.

Other things to note, the green led screen is lit displaying a level #, and the host light has been, and is still red.  the FF400 is also running as bus powered.

-----

I also downloaded the latest PnP driver for Win7 and the firewire updater, but it sounds like I need to install the driver from the CD\Wk2 folder first, then update the firmware, THEN update the driver..  correct?

Thank you for all your help!
- Don

Re: FF400 new install on Win7 64bit, not working, please help

Forget the (outdated) CD, use the download drivers only...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks for the quick reply.  Just now I was able to install the FF400 on my winxp laptop w/the CD, and it works just fine.. but going back to my preferred system with Windows 7, I attempted the same install procedure using the latest FF400 PnP driver online (version 3.034), and that also timed out after 10+ minutes attempting to install the driver.  While on winxp, i saw the firmware of the device is 1.70, which is already the latest available.

What should I try now?

I also want to point out the other tab information, in Device Manager>Sound,video and game controllers>RME Fireface 400

on the "Driver" tab, it reads:

Driver Provider: RME
Driver Date: 1/30/2009
Driver Version: 2.9.5.0
Digital Signer: Uwe Kirst

Driver File Details contains:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\fireface.sys,  file version 3.034
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\fireface_64.sys,  file version 3.034
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys
C:\Windows\system32\fireface.exe,  file version 3.034
C:\Windows\system32\fireface.inf,  file version unknown
C:\Windows\system32\fireface_asio_64.dll,  file version 3.034
C:\Windows\system32\fireface_mme.dll,  file version 2.95
C:\Windows\system32\firefacemix.exe,  file version 3.034
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\fireface_asio.dll,  file version 3.034

hmm, well i got it working

I restarted, and booted in save mode.  Then uninstalled the FF400 from within Device Manager.  restarted again, this time regular win7, and immediately it wanted to restart after discovering the FF400.  One more restart and the red host light was gone, and the mixer & RME settings icons work.  and I have audio coming through 1&2.