Topic: Setup for 24 analog in and out

We are looking for a hardware setup that supports 24 analog in and 24 analog out channels. We are using the SX4882 Behringer mixer.

At the shop, they recommended 2 x Fireface UFX. But the user manual states that more than one UFX on one Firewire bus is not realy recommended. What is the best way to connect them to each other/to the computer?

Another solution we are considering, is a 3 x Fireface 800 setup. The user manual states that up to 3 interfaces are supported on the same firewire bus?!

Hardware: Latest Mac Pro 2,8 GHz, Quad core, 8 Gb RAM, 4 x Firewire 800, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Software: Pro Tools 8 LE, planned to crossgrade to Pro Tools 9 LE

Re: Setup for 24 analog in and out

HDSP 9652 or a RayDat and an SSL Alpha-Link AX (no MADI is needed on the SSL - use 3x ADAT for each direction and save cash vs the Alphalink MADI AX w/MADI).  This will limit you to 24 I/O @ 44/48K, and 12 I/O @ 88/96K due to the ADAT limitations on the SSL and 96/52.

Alternatively a HDSP(e) MADI card and the SSL Alphalink MADI AX is a fine setup (check my sig wink ).  This will allow a full 24 I/O @ 96K!  Never been happier...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-07 08:28:12)

one ff800 and two behringer ada8000 over ADATwill exceed your expectations, if you are satisfied with 48 kHz sampling rate. At my opinion, there is no real benefit of using anything higher than that - sound is perfect. (Speaking in terms of rme ff800 - don't know the sound of ada2000, but i'm pretty shure, it is better than from SX4882). The shop will, of course, try to sell you the most expensive solution. If possible, avoid more than one device per firewire bus, use extensions over ADAT.

Agree with kasaudio on the RME + Behringer ADA8000 choice. It's a very good solution.
The ADA8000 is one of the best and most popular pieces that Behringer ever made. I've had no issues with my two.

Alternatively the Soniccore A16 if you don't need the mic preamps. Comes in two flavours, XLR (2U) and jack (1U)

Geir.