Topic: Solution for monitoring via the RAYDAT card?

Hi, i have been looking at the Rme Raydat card for a long while as a possible solution to getting rid of my 01v mixer and current m-audio soundcard. Right now i have balanced outs from soundcard to mackie big knob, and monitors connected to the big knob.
I've got no prior experience of using Adat connections though.
The reason i'm looking at the Adat card is that it gives me plenty of options as to what interfaces to connect and flexible in the amount of channels i can add.

What i'm wondering is though, how do i solve my monitoring with this card since there is only adat connections and the breakout cables available for this card doesen't seem to have either 1/4" lines or xlr-outs.
This http://www.focusrite.com/products/mic_p … i_dynamic/ is the only preamp i've found that i presume would let me monitor thru it's line outs since it got adat in on it. How this unit would color my monitoring i have no idea.

Except the unit above only solution i see is buying another HDSPe card that allready has analogue outs on it?

Thankful for any suggestions to possible monitoring solutions to this setup.

Re: Solution for monitoring via the RAYDAT card?

You can connect any ADAT converter with or without preamps to the card. The RayDAT provides up to 4x8 inputs plus 4x8 outputs, this means 4 x 8-channel ADAT converters. For a simple AD/DA conversion one or more ADI-8 DS (or QS) work. RME also offers an 8-channel AD converter with 8 preamps (OctaMic II or Micstasy), but in this case you still need a DA converter for monitoring. Example: a setup of one OctaMic II and one ADI-8 DS provides 16 inputs and eight outputs. A second HDSPe card (AIO) would add analog outs to the setup, but if you only need stereo monitoring an RME ADI-2 AD/DA converter would work also.

Of course there are countless other ADAT converters on the market.

best regards
Knut

Thanks alot for your fast and informative reply.
I think i had a bit of a missconception of how Adat works but it became clear now, opens up for some interesting setup combinations.

Thanks again!

If you can afford it you should look into a RME MADI system. It´s like ADAT on steroids. 64 I/Os on a single card and different I/O boxes with analog I/Os (including mic preamps) or digital I/Os (ADAT, AES/EBU). All I/O boxes can be remote controlled over the MADI connection or via MIDI cables. 

Please have a look on this setup example:

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/en_example_128channels_1.gif

When you replace the HDSPe MADI and the ADI-648 on the top with the RayDAT card this setup gives you half of the connection options (4 x ADAT I/O instead 8 x ADAT I/O). E.g.
- 1 x OctaMic II (8 analog inputs)
- 2 x ADI-8 DS or QS (16 analog inputs + 16 analog outputs)
- Digital mixer with ADAT I/O or ADI-192 DD for 4 x AES/EBU I/O

best regards
Knut