Topic: RME UFX sound quality

I use a multiface (first generation) with  the quad mic and Cubase 5. I compose music for movies since fifteen years and today I want to record my next acoustic guitar CD in my home. I've bought last year two fantastic Km 56 and Km 54 Neumann like new. I use Neve and chandler preamps. I think that my sound card is old even the quality is good. My question is : are the preamps and the conversions AD and DA of the UFX really better than the FF800 and multiface ? are the differences in sound quality subtil or really obvious  ? To buy the ufx is a good choice for me if the difference with the multiface + quadmic is really important. Can you describe the sound of the ufx when you record with good static microphones ? Thanks for your advices.
Gaston

Re: RME UFX sound quality

My question is : are the preamps and the conversions AD and DA of the UFX really better than the FF800 and multiface ? are the differences in sound quality subtil or really obvious  ?

Besides the enthusiastic reviews the UFX gets for its sound quality, I think the differences to a Fireface 800 are subtil and depend mostly on the source material and the individual recording/monitoring equipment. But if somebody wants the best possible sound quality with a very powerful feature set, he can´t do anything wrong by choosing the UFX.

Can you describe the sound of the ufx when you record with good static microphones?

The sound is just like the real thing. They don´t have an accoustic fingerprint, like most analog preamps. The preamps do not add or remove something from the source, just capture the signal as it is in the best possible way without loosing any subtle detail.

best regards
Knut

Thank you very much Knut.

Amps are important, even more important is how you going to catch your guitar sound with your neumanns, try many different settings and experiment with distance "you to mic" and distance "mic - floor". After experimenting (with 2 km 184's)  a few days I found that the ORTF setup is quite good (stereo) with about 1 meter distance from you and the guitar.